Kashmiri Dum Aloo is a traditional Kashmiri dish that is made of potatoes simmered in yoghurt based gravy. A few spices like ginger powder, fennel powder and Kashmiri red chilli powder are used to make this dish. Easy and delicious, this curry goes well with rice, roti, or both.
Kashmiri dum aloo is one of the potato curries which I love to make for any dinner parties or get-togethers. It's easy, takes only about 30 minutes to make, and really wows the guests. The amazing red hues because of Kashmiri chilli make it really pretty without that much spice.
What Ingredients Do We Need to Make Kashmiri Dum Aloo?
Potatoes- The hero of the dish, baby potatoes. Though you can make this dish with any other potato as well, baby potatoes are ideal for this. They are just perfect for boiling and frying. Frying them till they look golden brown is more convenient when their size is small.
Yoghurt- We will need whisked yoghurt, so for that purpose, you can use any yoghurt/dahi of your choice.
Kashmiri Red Chilli Paste- We will soak dry Kashmiri red chillies and make them into a smooth paste. This makes the colour of the curry a really beautiful red, minus all the spice.
Dry Ginger Powder- This spice powder is really warm and gives the curry a distinct flavour.
Fennel Powder- This spice powder is quite uncommon and used in mostly Kashmiri recipes. Using it in all the authentic recipes makes it really special.
Garam Masala Powder
Mustard Oil/Oil of Your Choice- Mostly, Kashmiri dishes are prepared in mustard oil, however, you can use oil of your choice.
Kashmiri Red Chiili Powder
How to Make Kashmiri Dum Aloo-
First, boil baby potatoes and peel them. Then, deep fry them till they look golden brown in colour. After that, make a tangy spicy curry of yoghurt and all the spices. Simmer fried potatoes in the curry for some time till they are absorbed by them. The curry should look thick and luscious.
What to Serve With Kashmiri Dum Aloo?
You may also want to check other Kashmiri recipes as well-
How Long Can You Store this Kashmiri Dum Aloo?
It tastes great the other day. The flavours mixed with each other give a wonderfully rich taste.
For instance, I sometimes intentionally make it the previous night and serve it for dinner. It tastes great after a days gap.
You can freeze it in a freezer-safe container and keep it in the fridge for at least one week.
Just freeze it in small containers and microwave it before serving. However, do not put the thawed items back as they can get spoilt.
Kashmiri Dum Aloo
- 15-16 Baby Potatoes
- ½ Cup Whisked Yoghurt
- 5-6 Dry red Kashmiri Red Chilli
- 1 Tsp Dry Ginger Powder
- 1 Tsp Fennel Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander powder
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- 2 Black Cardamom
- 1.5 Tbsp Oil for making the curry
- Oil for deep frying of potato
- Salt ,according to the taste.
- Boil baby potatoes in Instant pot for high pressure for 1 minute.Relaese the pressure manually .
- Peel the potatoes .They should be firm .Prick them with a toothpick or fork.
- Deepp fry them in oil till they look golden and crispy.
- Remove them in plate lined by paper towel.
- Heat oil in a ifferent pan.
- Whisk the yoghurt and mix it ½ cup of water .Keep it aside.
- In a second bowl mix coriander powder ,fennel powder,dry ginger powder and turmeric powder with ¼ cup of water .
- Take all the dry red chilies and remove the seeds from them .Make a smooth puree out of it .
- Mix this red chili puree with yoghurt .
- Take another pan .Heat 2 ytbsp of oil to it .
- Add asafoetida and black cardamom to it .Let it splutter .
- Add all the spice mixed with water to it .Stir it contiuously to make it a nice paste .
- Add all the yoghurt ,red chili mix to it .
- Stir it continouslyy,other wise yoghurt will curdle .
- Add fried potatoes in it Let me simmer it for 5-10 minutes..or till it looks /Start thicening.
- Add garam masala powder.Stir it once .Check the sesaoning .
- Enjoy with roti or rice.