Dum Arbi is a delicious-looking curry that everyone loves. This curry is slightly different from all the rich Indian curries, yet it stands in the crowd as regal and fabulous. Suitable for each occasion, this curry could be your next party dish. Simple and easy to prepare.
This is my interpretation of a Kashmiri dish that is rich, vibrant, and delicious.
Arbi or Colocasia roots(some people call these taro roots as well) are deep-fried after boiling and then they are cooked in a yogurt-based aromatic gravy.
Gorgeous in looks, this dish takes your taste buds to the elevated levels of the comforting clouds.
Served with rice or any type of Indian flatbread, this can be a conversation starter for any dinner table.
Dum Arbi/Colocasia Roots in Kashmiri Style Yogurt Gravy
For frying the Arbi
- 250 gm /4 big Arbi
- Salt Water for boiling.
- Oil for frying.
Ingredients for Curry
- 2 Tbsp Oil/Ghee
- 1 Small/medium Chopped Onion
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp dried Fenugreek Leaves
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ Tsp Fennel Powder
- ⅓ Cup Yogurt/Curd
- Salt to taste
- 1 Cup Water
How to prepare Arbi
- Boil Arbi in an Instant pot ,on stove top in a vessel or tradtional pressure cooker.
- Make sure your arbi stays fork tender yet firm .It souldn't be mushy. One minute in Instant pot is good ,then release the steam naturaly.
- Peel the skin and cut each one into big pieces.
- Deep fry or shallow fry in hot oil till they look golden brown and crispy.
- Keep it aside on a plate.
How to make Curry
- Take a pan or wok.
- Add two tbsp of oil/ghee. Heat the oil.
- Add cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell is gone.
- Add chopped onion .
- Saute and cook for two three minutes till the onion looks translucent .
- Make sure it doesnt stick to the plate.
- Take yogurt in a big bowl . Whisk it and add all the dry spices like coriander powder,turmeric powder,red chili powder,fennel powder.
- Add one cup of water to this yogurt mixture.
- Add this mixture to the pan or wok .Stir continously to avoid curdling.
- Stir till it comes to a boil .this step is quite important for better texture of curry.Curdled ones are not good tasting.
- When it starts boiling add fried arbi to the pan .
- now add salt and mix everything.Not adding salt previously is important otherwise curdling could happen.
- Add dried crushed fenugreek leaves.
- Check the consistency of the curry if its too thick for you add ½ cup of hot water and mix.
- Place it in a nice serving bowl and serve it with rice or roti.