Aloo Gobhi, North Indian style. Dry Aloo Gobhi with green peas and tomato is a regular North Indian dish. One of the most famous vegan Indian curries, this dish is spicy, has an amazing texture and is finger-licking delicious. Furthermore, this goes well with any type of Indian bread or rice.
Aloo Gobhi is also one of the simplest curries to make. It was one of the first dishes I started to cook early after my wedding. According to my husband, I make it really well, so whenever someone visited our house for lunch or dinner, he always suggested I cook Aloo Gobhi. After a few times, I was so bored of cooking it that I totally denied and suggested a different dish.
Growing up, my mom made the best Aloo Gobhi. The texture of her curry was mouth watering. The aloo, or potato, was crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. The gobhi was crispy and soft but had a definite bite to it. With the right amount of spices, peas, and a few pieces of tomato, it was just amazing. We loved it for our every meal. In addition, she served it with rice, dal, roti, or paratha. Our school lunch was also sometimes Aloo Gobhi with poori.
How to Make Aloo-Gobhi-
You can make this vegan, mouth-watering curry in a few, simple steps. The first step is to chop potatoes and cauliflower in big pieces. Then, chop onions, tomatoes, and make ginger-garlic paste. Keep all the spices and oil ready.
Traditionally, mustard oil is used for making Aloo Gobhi, but you can certainly choose your own oil. When the oil is hot, temper it with cumin seeds and chilies. I prefer green chili, but red chili can be used as well. However, if you do not want to use any chili, that's perfect as well.
Add chopped onions and after sauteing it for 2-3 minutes, add ginger-garlic paste. After that, saute it till the raw smell is gone. Add potatoes, turmeric powder, and salt to it. Then, mix and cover with the lid. When it's half cooked add cauliflower florets to it. Mix all the spices and cook it while covering for 3-4 minutes. Then, when the cauliflower is crunchy but tender, and the potatoes are tender, add tomatoes and peas to it. Remove the cover and cook Aloo Gobhi on medium flame. Garnish with cilantro and optionally, lime juice. Your Aloo Gobhi is ready to enjoy!
What to Serve With this Aloo Gobhi Curry-
You May Want to Check Out These Potato Recipes-
Aloo Gobhi/Potato and cauliflower curry
- 1 Medium Potato chopped into medium pieces
- 1 Cup Cauliflower florets
- 1 Small chopped Onion
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Medium Tomato,chopped
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder/Paprika(optional)
- ½ Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt according to the taste.
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- ¼ Cup Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- ⅓ Cup Green Peas
- 1 Tsp Ginger Juliennes
- 2 Green Chili
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Lime /Lemon Juice.
- Wash and Chop both potatoes and cauliflower.Keep them aside.
- Wash tomato and chop them .Chop onion and make ginger garlic paste by grinding equal amount of ginger and garlic in a mortar pestle or grinder.
- Take a pan/wok.Add oil to it .When its hot enough add cumin seeds and green chili to it .Let them crackle.Add onion to it and saute .When onion looks transparent add ginger garlic paste and saute till raw smell is gone .
- Add potatoes and add turmeric powder,coriander powder ,salt ,and red chili powder to it .Cook it covered for 2-3 minutes on medium flame .when potatoes look seventy percent done add cauliflower and mix it .
- Cover it again with lid and let them cook for 4-5 minutes .Add tomatoes and peas and cook it again for 2 minute on low flame .(covered)Remove the lid saute it on medium flame for 1 -2 minute .
- Add lemon/lime juice .Garnish with ginger and cilantro leaves.
- Serve with any bread or rice and enjoy .