Dum Aloo is among the most popular Indian Vegetarian Curries. Boiled and shallow fried potatoes are simmered in a creamy, spicy curry. Finger-licking delicious, this potato dish goes well with any rice dish or Indian bread.
Potatoes are loved by all. They are used in Indian curries so much that you won't believe that they came to India only in the 17th century with the Portuguese. I remember growing up, my favourite vegetable was potato and the dish which made me finish my bowl was Dum Aloo (yes, I was a picky eater in my childhood).
There are several variations of Dum Aloo and almost every state, or to be very precise, home has their own version. My mom used to make the most delicious Dum Aloo. I myself make several variations of Dum Aloo, which include Kashmiri Aludum, Bengali Aloo Dum, Punjabi Aloo Dum, and close to my heart, Bihari Aloo Dum.
This a recipe of a really easy restaurant-style Aloo Dum which is not very spicy and more on the creamier side. Instead of using cream, however, I have used cashew paste in this gravy. It is a creamier version of Spicy Aloo Dum and the vegan-ness is an added advantage.
Many of my vegan readers often feel as though they are missing out because most rich Indian curries use dairy so much. So, for this reason, I have simplified the recipe and kept it dairy-free. It is a wonderful recipe for Aloo Dum that feels electrifying to the taste buds.
What Ingredients Do You Need for Making Dum Aloo?
- Small Potatoes
- Cashew Nuts
- Ginger-Garlic Paste
- Bay Leaves
- Cumin Seeds
- Dry Red Chilis
- Red Chilli Powder
- Coriander Powder
- Garam Masala Powder
- Cilantro Leaves For Garnish
- Green Chilies (optional)
- Kasoori Methi/Dried Fenugreek Leaves
How to Make Dum Aloo
1- Boiling potatoes is the first step, and doing it correctly is really important. If you are using Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker, cook it for very little time. Cracked or very soft potatoes are not used in this recipe. Potatoes should retain their shape and feel fork tender. You can boil them on the stove top as well.
2- The second step is to prick them with a toothpick or fork. Then, shallow fry them after coating them in turmeric and salt. In addition, make sure you coat them well. Shallow fry them till they look golden brown and feel a little crispy on the outer side.
3- The third and final step is preparing the gravy. Firstly, heat the oil. Then, add bay leaves, cumin seeds, and cinnamon to it. Let them crackle. After that, add thinly sliced onions. Saute on low-medium flame. Add ginger-garlic paste. Saute till raw smell is gone. Then, add a few spice powders and saute them. After that, make a puree of soaked cashews and tomatoes. Add this puree to the pan. Then, make an aromatic spice mix by gently sauteing them on slow flame. After doing so, add potatoes and kasoori methi to it. Then, add some water and let it simmer for a few minutes. Taste the salt. Lastly, garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with bread or rice.
Can You Keep it in the Freezer?
You can keep Dum Aloo in a freezer-safe bowl and store it in the refrigerator for 1-2 days since it has cashew paste inside it. However, it can not be kept for a long time.
You May Want to Check these Potato Recipes...
You Can Serve Dum Aloo with These Dishes,
Dum Aloo/ Dum Alu
For shallow Frying Potatoes
- 8-10 Small/Not Baby Potatoes(Boiled Perfectly)
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ Tsp Salt
- Oil For Shallow Frying
For Making Gravy
- 1 Medium Onion,thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp Ginger -Garlic Paste
- 1 Medium Tomato,chopped
- 8-10 Cashew Nuts
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- ½ Tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Dry red Chilli(Do not use if you don't like spicy things)
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ Tbsp Red Chilli Powder(optional)
- ½ Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Tbsp Kasoori Methi
- Salt according to the taste
- 2 Green Chillies(Optional)
- Fresh Chopped Cilantro leaves.
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Small Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Cup Water
How To Boil Potatoes and Make Tomato cashew Paste
- Boil Potatoes in Instant Pot for one minute on high pressure.Let the steam release naturally .
- Peel the Potatoes and Prick them with a tooth pick or fork.
- Coat them with turmeric powder and salt .Mix it nicely .Keep them in a plate.Soak cashews in hot water for 30 minutes.Grind tomato and cashew nuts to make a puree.
How To Shallow Fry Potatoes
- Take a Wok.Heat oil in it.
- Shallow fry Potatoes till they look golden brown and feel little crispy on the out side.Do it on the slow flame .I will prefer shallow frying in two batches.
- Remove shallow fried potatoes in a plate .
Making Of Curry
- Take a Pan/Wok.
- Heat it .Add oil to it .
- When it's hot enough add bay leaf ,cinnamon stick ,cumin seeds,and dry red chillies.
- Add sliced onion to it .Saute it on slow flame .Let it sweat for 1-2 minute.
- Add ginger garlic Paste.Saute till raw smell is gone.
- Add coriander Powder ,turmeric powder ,red chilli powder,to it .Saute for 30 seconds .
- Add tomato cashew puree to it .Stir it nicely .Add little bit of salt to expedite the cooking process.Cook it on the slow flame .If you think its sticking to the bottom ,add 1-2 tbsp of water to it .
- Saute and cook on low /medium flame for a few minutes till it releases oil.It will take around 6-7 minutes to make a nice curry paste .
- Add potatoes and mix it nicely with the masala curry .
- Add water and cook t covered on slow flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Add crushed Kasoori Methi to it .
- Garnish with cilantro and green chilli.Taste the salt ,if needed add now.
- If consistency is thick for your taste add little more water if its thin ,let it cook for one more minute on slow flame .
- Serve with any type of bread or rice.