Kashmiri Gobhi/Cauliflower. Easy and simple flavours with just a few ingredients. Finger licking delicious and super pretty, this cauliflower curry goes well with rice and roti. If you love cauliflower, then this recipe is a must-try.
We at home love cauliflower. I always plan at least two recipes with cauliflower for our weekly menu and believe me, it's really difficult to think of something new.
Mostly, if we are making Indian food, the kids request something different. There are several Indian cauliflower recipes but we eat them so often that the kids don't want to have them now.
This time, when I was making cauliflower curry, I thought I would make them something different without using onion and garlic. This recipe of mine is inspired by the Kashmiri dum aloo recipe. It is one of the easiest recipes and my family loved it.
What is Kashmiri Gobhi / Cauliflower?
Kashmiri gobhi is a recipe inspired by Kashmiri Aloo Dum. Mostly, I try only Aloo Dum, Kashmiri Methi Chaman, or Kashmiri Dahi Baingan/Eggplant in Kashmiri Yogurt Sauce. in Kashmiri Yogurt Sauce. This time, I thought, why can't I use a similar recipe for Kashmiri Gobhi? Hence, this recipe was born.
What Ingredients Are Used in Making Kashmiri Gobhi?
Cauliflower- Fresh cauliflower works best in this recipe. Nice and compact cauliflower florets are used and after frying, their texture is to die for. Furthermore, fresh cauliflower provides a melt-in-the-mouth texture for the curry.
Yoghurt- I have used greek yoghurt for this recipe. Use any vegan yoghurt of your choice for a vegan alternative.
Tomato Puree- I have used homemade tomato puree, however, feel free to use store-bought ones. I just pureed the overripe tomatoes in my vita-mix and that worked very well.
Fennel Powder- You can find this in any Indian grocery store or ethnic store. There is a high chance that you will find that on any online website.
Dry Ginger Powder- You can find this in any Indian Store or ethnic store.
Coriander Powder- Very easy to get.
Garam Masala Powder- This is also quite easy to find in almost any grocery store which has an international aisle.
Kashmiri Red Chili Powder- I will insist that you use this specific red chilli powder. It provides a rich hue without adding too much spiciness. It is the soul of this recipe and without adding this you won't be able to get the same taste, texture or look.
Salt, turmeric powder, cumin seeds, oil, and black cardamom are other ingredients.
What Can You Serve with Kashmiri Gobhi?
You can serve this curry with roti, naan or any type of grain. I love this with hot white rice and a dollop of ghee. It's really delicious with many types of bread as well.
- 1 Small Cauliflower ,break into small/medium florets
- ½ Cup Greek Yoghurt/Any Vegan Yoghurt
- 1 Tsp Fennel Powder
- 1 Tsp Dry Ginger powder
- 1.5 Tsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- Pinch of Garam Masala Powder
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt according to the taste.
- 1 Black Cardamom
- ½ Tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp Oil to cook the Curry
- Oil for frying the cauliflower if you are deep frying .
- You can air fry cauliflower florets in air fryer on 370 f for 7-8 minutes or till they look crispy golden brown .
- Wash cauliflower with water and dry with a paper towel.
- Cut florets .I will suggest go for natural floret shapes and break them with hand .
- Deep fry or air fry them according to your choice.
- Take precaution while deep frying .Oil will splutter all over the pan so its always better to keep a lid ready .Once you put florets ,cover it immediately .Leave it just like that for 3-4 minute on medium fame .Remove the lid and then fry it properly till it looks golden .
- Remove it in a plate lined with paper towel.
- Take a pan /wok or use the same one .Just reduce the oil .We need around 1 tbsp .
- Heat it.
- Meanwhile make a paste of all the ground spices with ½ cup of water. Keep it aside.
- Add cumin seeds and black cardamom to it .
- Add spice paste to it and stir it on medium flame for 2-3 minute .
- Add whisked yoghurt and ½ cup of water to the pan .Stir it continously otherwise your yoghurt will curdle .After continously stirring for 3-4 minute when it starts boiling add cauliflower florets .Add ½ cup water and salt .
- Cover it with a lid and cook on low flame for 7-8 minutes or till the oil floates on the top .
- Garnish with green chili and fresh cilantro.Serve with roti or rice.
Leave a Reply