Sharing is Caring!!!!
Potato fry Aloo Bhujia, crispy and crunchy potato matchstick fry. Aloo bhujia/potato stir fry is easy, delicious, and needs only a few ingredients. Vegan and gluten-free. Goes well with rotis, rice, pooris, or parathas.
I grew up on this food. Rice, dal, and potato fry/aloo bhujia with green chutney and salad was my staple lunch. It was a lunch that satisfied my soul, and I relished every bite.
In North India, especially the state Bihar where I grew up, potato, AKA aloo has its importance.
Having a potato dish on the regular menu is common. The plate could be a single hero dish or have a side hero-type role. Nevertheless, potatoes are omnipresent.
When we were kids, we loved potatoes, and any dish made of potatoes was the best. I still do. Dum Aloo/Dum Alu and Aloo Bhujia were particular favorites of ours.
On one side, we loved the creaminess of dum aloo; on the other, we loved crispy, crunchy potatoes.
Aloo Bhujia, or potato stir fry, is the ultimate potato dish, and after tasting it, you won't believe how easy it is to make.
It simply effortlessly highlights the potatoes. It tastes incredible with paratha, pooris, rice, and dal.
How To Make Aloo Bhujia?
It's simple and easy. Cut potatoes in a match stick shape. I prefer to cut them this way because it takes less time to make them crispy and crunchy. They cook well in a short amount of time. I peel the potatoes when I think the skin is old or thick and leave them for shiny new potatoes, but you don't have to.
Next, place a wok on the gas stove. I would insist on a wok however you don't have to buy it. The logic behind using a wok is that it works like an Indian Kadhai. Add the oil of your choice.
When it is hot, add green chilies and cumin seeds. Let them crackle. Add potatoes and sauté them. Add turmeric and salt to the wok. Stir to mix the spices. Cover the wok/pan with a lid. Please keep it on a low/medium flame.
Keep it covered for 3-4 minutes. Remove the lid and cook on a medium flame uncovered for 6-7 minutes. Stir in between. Turn the gas to low/medium. Try not to break the potato.
Cook till they look crispy golden, and fully cooked. Switch off the flame and garnish with little green cilantro and red chili powder (totally optional). Enjoy a side of your choice.
My Popular Potato Recipes,
Potato Fry (Aloo Bhujia)
- 2 Big Potatoes(Chop in to matchsticks)
- 1 Green Chilli
- 2 Tbsp Oil of your choice
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt according to your taste.
- 1 Tbsp Fresh cilantro(optional)
- ½ Tsp Cumin Seeds
- Cut potatoes into long matchsticks .
- Take a Wok/Pan Add oil to it.Heat it .
- When its hot add cumin seeds and green chili to it .
- Let them crackle.
- Add potato match sticks to it .Saute it once.
- Add turmeric powder and salt to it .
- Saute and cover the wok/pan .
- Cook it on medium/low flame for 3-4 minute .
- Remove the lid and stir it once .Cover it again and keep the flame to low.
- Cook it for 2 minute.
- Remove the lid and cook on medium flame .
- Cook till potatoes look crispy and golden That will depend on your taste..
- Garnish with cilantro .Switch off the flame .
- Serve with bread or rice dal .