Sharing is caring!!!
Saag Aloo is quite a popular north Indian dish. It is easy, healthy, and delicious. Potatoes are cooked with a puree made of spinach and mustard greens. It's full of iron, calcium, and fiber. Goes well with roti and rice. This dish is very hearty.
What is Saag Aloo?
Saag Aloo is a traditional north Indian curry in which potatoes are cooked with greens like spinach and mustard. Here in the US, sometimes I do mix kale with spinach.
Mustard greens and kale work fine and give the curry a perfect body. They make this Saaag Aloo quite nutritious.
What type of potato can be used?
I prefer using red potatoes or baby potatoes in this recipe. They hold their shape well. Yukon gold can also be used in this recipe. I won't advise using Idaho or russet potato .their texture will not work in this recipe.
Is Aloo Palak or Saag Aloo is same?
No. It is not the same but is often used in the same context of referring to green-based curries. Aloo palak is prepared by using only spinach leaves. These are more on the creamier side. Saag aloo has spinach and mustard greens/kale mixed. They have more texture and a little strong taste.
You May Want to Check out My Popular Curies,
Is Saag Aloo Healthy?
Absolutely. It uses lots of green leaves, hence pretty nutritious. If you are watching your carbs, use paneer or tofu instead of potatoes.
Ingredients needed to make Saag Aloo,
Spinach - Any type, fresh or frozen, can be used.
Mustard Greens/ Kale leaves - Fresh or frozen.
Potatoes-Red potato, baby potato, or Yukon gold.
Aromatics- Onion, ginger, garlic, and green chilies.
Tomato paste, puree, or sauce
Spice Mix-Turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, coriander powder, Salt.
Garnish with lime/lemon juice and fresh cilantro.
How to make Saag Aloo in Instant Pot?
I prefer using boiled potato in this curry. Before starting the curry, boil the potatoes till they are fork tender. Peel them and slice them into two parts. Another thing is to chop the raw potatoes and use them in the curry.
first, heat the oil in the instant pot. Add cumin seeds and green chilies to it. When cumin seeds start crackling, add chopped onion and ginger garlic paste. chopped ginger garlic can be added as well.
Saute them till the raw smell is gone. Add chopped, boiled potatoes; stir it around a few times until it looks golden. Add all the spice mix and tomato puree to the instant pot. Cook till the spices release the oil .that will take around 4-5 minutes. If you think it's sticking to the base, add a few spoons of water to it.
Now add your pureed greens to the Instant pot. Mix everything correctly, and make sure you do not break potatoes. Add 0ne cup of water and cover the lid. Cook on high pressure for around 3 minutes.
Let the pressure come out naturally. Taste the salt and chili. If you want to add something, do it now. Sprinkle some lime/lemon juice and garnish with fresh cilantro. Remove in a serving platter and enjoy with naan, rice, or roti.
Saag Aloo on the stove top,
Boil and chop the potatoes. Boil-washed and cleaned spinach and Mustard greens. Remove them in ice-cold water and grind them to a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
Take a pan, and heat the oil in it. Add cumin seeds and green chili to it. Let them crackle. Add chopped onion and ginger garlic paste. Stir it for one minute. Add potatoes and saute for a few minutes on low flame to give them some golden color.
Add all the spices and salt. Mix them, and at this time, add tomato sauce and puree to the pan. Add one tbsp of water if it's too dry or sticking to the pan. Cook till it releases the oil. Add pureed spinach and mustard greens.
Mix everything and cook for 4-5 minutes on low flame. If you want to add water, add it at this stage. If consistency is fine, leave it.
Sprinkle lime juice and garnish with some cilantro leaves.
Saag Aloo (Instant Pot /Stove Top)
- 8-10 Small Baby Potatoes
- 1(8 oz) Bunch Spinach Greens
- 1(8 oz) Bunch Mustard Greens
- 2 Tbsp Cooking oil/Ghee
- 1 Small Chopped Onion
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Green Chili ,chopped
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ Tsp Garam Masala
- ½ Cup Tomato sauce/Puree
- 1 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro
- Salt to taste
- 2 Cups Water
- Turn the instant pot on and heat oil /ghee to it.Boil your potatoes till fork tender and chop them into two or four parts. Blanch your greens and make a smooth puree.
- Add cumin Seeds ,and green Chili to the oil. Let it crackle.
- Add chopped onion and ginger garlic paste.
- Saute till the raw smell is gone. That will take around 2-3 minutes.
- Add potatoes and stir till it gets some golden color.It won't take more then 2-3 minutes.
- At this point oF time mix all the spices and salt .
- Stir it once and add tomato sauce/puree.
- Cook till it releases the oil.
- If you think its sticking to the bottom add one tbsp of water.
- Mix the green puree with potato and spice mix.
- Add 2 cups of water. Stir it once and cook on high pressure for 2-3 minutes.
- If your potatoes are quite soft ,skip the pressure cooking part.
- Remove the lid after releasing the pressure naturally.
- Sprinkle lime juice and garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Serve with roti or rice.
Leave a Reply