Diving back into real life after coming from a vacation is not easy. Sometimes I do think that vacation days never end.😀😜
But like all good things, it has to.
I was craving a simple meal, so after I stepped into my kitchen, I prepared Kashmiri Dahi Baingan. This dish is easy, flavourful, and simply awesome.
Have you ever tried it?
Kashmiri Dahi Baingan/Eggplant in Kashmiri Yogurt Sauce.
Air Fried fried or shallow fried eggplants in a yogurt and aromatic spice gravy.
- 1 Medium Eggplant(Cut into little thick round pieces)
- 1 Tbsp Mustard oil /Canola oil for shallow frying/Oil for deep frying /You can air fry these as well.
- 1 Tbsp Fennel powder
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Powder
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Cup Whisked yogurt
- 1 Tbsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 Tbsp Oil (for making the gravy)
- 3 Tbsp Water for making spice mix powder.
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- Salt according to taste.
- Cilantro leaves for garnish.
- 1 Tsp Turmeric powder
- Cut eggplant pieces into round shape . keep them little thick .
- Apply little salt on them .
- If you want to deep fry go ahead and fry it .The original recipe calls for deep frying .
- If you want to Air Fry the eggplant do it on 8-10 minutes on 370 F. Time can vary depending on your air fryer. Keep it a little crispy.
- You can pan fry this as well with one table spoon of oil.
- Keep the fried eggplants aside.
- Take a pan or wok.
- Heat it .
- Add one tbsp of mustard oil. We use mustard oil for kashmiri dishes but you can certainly use canola oil.
- Add cardamom and cloves .
- Add Asafoetida.
- Make a mixture of fennel powder ,ginger powder ,red chili powder and water .
- Mix it nicely .
- Add this spice and water mixture to oil .
- Fry it on low flame .
- Add turmeric .
- Add whisked yogurt to it and keep stirring it to avoid curdling of the yogurt . This step is really important . keep the flame low . Add one cup of water . Stir it for at least 5-6 minutes or till it looks smooth gravy and starts to boil.
- Add salt .
- Check the consistency of the gravy if its thin let boil for some time on low flame . If its thick add some water and let it boil.
- Add eggplant to it . Mix it nicely and garnish with cilantro leaves.
- Taste the seasoning .Adjust if needed.
- Serve with roti or hot white rice.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Reply