Dahi Aloo is a perfect recipe for an easy, simple, and delicious dinner. It takes 20 minutes and needs only a few staple ingredients from your pantry and refrigerator. A rich and tangy potato curry that is comforting and delectable.
Growing up, we had this dahi aloo so much. It was one of our favorite potato curries. Simple dahi aloo tasted best with the ghee-laden roti.
My mom used to make this in ghee, and I still love the aroma which filled our home.
When I started cooking this curry in my kitchen, the frequency got less, but the love for this tangy curry was the same intensity.
I love how the simple flavors create a party inside your mouth.
Asafoetida and ginger make this curry just finger-licking good. If you have not tried this recipe /curry yet, it's high time you should make it.
Ingredients needed for Dahi Aloo?
Aloo/Potato-If you are using baby potatoes, slice them in half after boiling, and if potatoes are big, cut them into 4 or 8 parts, depending on the size of the potato. (after cooking till fork tender)
Yoghurt/Dahi/Curd-You can use any yogurt for this recipe. Homemade curd, store-bought plain yogurt, or greek yogurt, or if you are vegan, use any vegan yogurt.
Aromatics and spices-Grated fresh ginger or ginger paste, turmeric powder, coriander powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, dry red chili, asafoetida powder, salt, and green chilies.
You can use ghee or avocado oil, depending on your preference. Mustard oil will also work here. Cumin seeds and red chili /green chili will temper the curry.
Points to remember-
Stir continuously while pouring the yogurt spice mix will prevent the curdling of yogurt. Keep the flame low and stir till it starts to boil. This step is crucial for any yogurt /curd gravies.
My popular potato curries,
Aloo Matar/Potatoes & Peas Curry
Aloo Baingan/Potato Eggplant Curry
How to Make Dahi aloo in Instant Pot?
For the Instant pot recipe, skip the part about boiling the potatoes. You can use peeled potatoes. However, if you have cooked potatoes, feel free to use them.
Please turn the saute button on the Instant pot when it displays hot, and add oil/ghee. Add cumin seeds, asafoetida, and green chilies to the pot. Saute for 30 seconds.
Add chopped potatoes to the pot and cook for 1 minute. They will look golden brown after one minute, or saute them for one more minute.
Take a big bowl, and whisk the yogurt with all the spices except salt. Make a lump-free batter. add water and this yogurt spice mix to the Instant pot. Stir this around the pot continuously till it starts to boil.
Add salt and mix it once more. Cover the lid. Cancel the saute mode.
Now switch n the pressure cook mode and cook for 3 minutes on high pressure. Then turn off the Instant pot. Let it cool naturally before opening the lid.
Remove the curry to a serving bowl. Take a small pan and heat it /. Add oil/ghee to it . Add cumin seeds, dry red chili, and red chili powder when it's hot. Pour it over the dahi aloo curry. Serve it hot with any Indian bread or rice.
- 2 Cups Boiled, peeled, and cubed potato
- ½ Cup Thick Plain Yogurt (homemade or store bought)
- 1 Tbsp Avocado Oil/Ghee
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Dry Red Chilli
- Pinch of Asafoetida Powder
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 1.5 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 2 Cup Water
- 1 Tsp Ginger Paste
- 1 Tbsp Ghee/Clarified Butter
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Dry Red Chilli/Green Chili
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder (optional)
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- Salt, according to taste
- Take a pan.
- Heat it and add oil to it. When it's hot enough, add cumin seeds,asafoetida powder and green chili to it.
- Let it crackle for 1 minute.
- Add ginger paste and saute till the raw smell is gone.
- Add boiled and cubed potato to it. Fry on medium/low flame till they look pinkish brown.
- Now take a bowl. Add yogurt in it.
- Add turmeric, red chilli powder, and coriander powder to it.
- Add two cups of water to it and whisk it nicely to make a lump free yogurt-spice liquid mixture.
- Your yogurt spice mix is ready to be used.
- Pour this yogurt and spice mix over the potato in the pan. Keep the flame on low/medium.
- Stir it continuously, otherwise your yogurt will curdle. After it starts boiling, you can stop stirring. Let it boil on medium flame till it has reached your liking connsistency.
- Add salt to it and stir it once again.(Never add salt before final step in any yogurt based Curry ,your Yogurt will curdle.)
- Remove it into a serving bowl and prepare for tempering.
How to do Tempering
- Take a tempering pan and add one tbsp of clarified butter/ghee/avocado oil to it.
- When it's hot enough, add cumin seeds, dry chilli(break it into two parts), and red chilli powder.
- Pour this tempering over the Aloo Dahi Curry.
- Serve with roti, paratha, poori, or rice.
Leave a Reply