Vegan, gluten-free, and simply delicious, this Potato Spinach Curry is one of the easiest curries I have ever made. Garlic flavour infused with spinach creates a wonderful aroma and taste that creates a comforting dinner or lunch.
Spinach and Potato Curry, which is also known as Aloo palak in Hindi is easy to make and takes very little time. There are two different types of Potato and Spinach curries. One is made with spinach puree and boiled potatoes, and another with chopped potatoes and spinach. The latter is considered more healthy because it uses less oil. It is also quite mild and unlike most of the North Indian curries, doesn't use cream or butter.
I like that this curry uses the most simple and staple ingredients from the fridge and pantry. Most households have potatoes, spinach, tomatoes, garlic, cilantro, and lime/lemon in their fridge. It uses onions, chillies, cumin seeds, oil, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and paprika in addition to other ingredients. The ingredients are not expensive and are easily available, which is the added bonus.
How To Make Potato and Spinach Curry-
The first step is to remove the peel of the potatoes and to chop the potatoes, spinach, onions, and tomatoes. Keep every other ingredient ready to use.
1- Take a pan. Then, add oil and heat it. Once it's hot, add cumin seeds and dry red chili. If you don't have dry red chilis, you can use fresh green chilies. Saute it for 1 minute and add chopped garlic to it. When the garlic is light brown, add onions to it. Saute it till it looks transparent.
2- Add chopped potatoes, salt and turmeric to it. Then, let it cook for 4-5 minutes. When it looks 80 percent cooked, add coriander powder and red chili powder. Saute it and add spinach and tomato. After that, saute and mix it well. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Add garam masala and lime juice to it. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot. It goes well with roti, paratha, rice, or dal.
Important Points to Make this Curry Perfectly-
- Firstly, do not chop the spinach very finely. Roughly chopped spinach will provide the texture.
2. Add potatoes only after they are eighty percent cooked. That way, you won't overcook the spinach.
3. Do not overcook the garlic. The light brown color is good, and add onion at that time. Over browning will make the taste bitter.
4. Lastly, cook the curry on medium and low flame. Do not make it liquidy as it's a dry curry.
You May Want To check These Recipes with Spinach.
Garlicky Potato Spinach Curry
- 2 Medium Potatoes ,cut into medium pieces.
- 4 Cups Spinach ,roughly chopped
- 1 Medium Onion,Chopped Finely
- 1 Medium Tomato,chopped finely
- 6 Big Cloves garlic ,chopped
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 Dry Red Chilli
- 1 Tbsp oil of your choice
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice/Lime Juice
- Salt according to your taste.
- ¼ cup Fresh chopped Cilantro
- ⅓ Cup Water
- Take a heavy bottom pan.Heat it and add oil to it.
- When its hot enough add cumin seeds and dry red chilli.Let them sizzle.
- Add chopped garlic to it ,Saute it till it looks light brown/golden .Add onion and saute it for 1-2 minute till it looks light pink/translucent.Keep the flame low.
- Add potato,turmeric powder,coriander powder,Red chilli powder and salt .Stir everything and cook for 1 minute uncovered. Add water to ,mix and cover with a lid.Let the potatoes cook for 3-4 minutes.They should be at least cooked more than eighty percent .
- Add spinach and tomatoes to it .Let it cook without lid for 3-4 minutes on low flame .
- Check the potatoes.They must be cooked by now .If not, cook for a minute or two.
- Add garam masala powder ,lime/lemon juice and fresh chopped cilantro.Your curry is ready to serve.
- Enjoy with bread or rice and lentil.