The most delicious and super easy dish of home-style Aloo-Baingan/Potato Eggplant Curry.
Vegan and gluten-free, this dish can be served with roti, rice, or both. Packed with robust flavors, this humble curry needs only a few ingredients.
If you like to eat baingan, you will love this recipe. This recipe is simple but really packed with flavor. I am sure you won't return to your old recipes again.
Most Indian homes make baingan curry. However, their recipes vary widely. India is a vast country, and here, every few miles, the language changes, and so do the recipes. We have so many variations of one dish that we cannot learn everything.
My husband and I love eggplant too much. Once a week, we prefer to make something with any eggplant/Aubergine/Brinjal.
Sometimes, we make Roasted Eggplant Mash/Baingan Ka Bharta, many times Baingan Bhaja/ Eggplant Bengali Style, or Easy Air Fryer Eggplant Parmesan. However, our kids love Easy Air Fryer Eggplant Parmesan the best.
What Type of Eggplant is Used in the Aloo Baingan/ Potato Eggplant Curry?
I like to use Japanese eggplant or any long eggplant in this curry. However, other varieties will work well in this recipe as well. Just look for soft, fresh eggplants with fewer seeds. They bring out the perfect texture of creaminess.
What Ingredients Are Needed for this Recipe?
Potato- Yukon gold potato works best. However, the red potato will be my second choice.
Eggplant- I have already explained that any eggplant is fresh and seedless.
Try to avoid old, dry ones. They won't be able to give the best results.
Aromatics- Onion, garlic, ginger. I made a paste out of ginger and garlic. Grind them in equal amounts.
Use just a few drops of water to make the paste.
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to a week in a tight container.
Tomato- Fresh ripe tomato for the best taste and texture. The water content in tomatoes is really important.
Fresh Green/Red Chilies- To provide a hint of spice. Indian food is not Indian till you use some fresh chilies.
Spices- Fenugreek seeds, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder.
Oil- Usually, I use mustard oil for many recipes, and potato eggplant curry is one of them.
It's sharp and gives curry the most authentic taste of all time.
Fresh Cilantro for garnish
How to Cook-
Wash and cut the vegetables. Take a pan or wok. Add the oil and heat it. Fry potato slices and eggplant slices separately till they look golden. Remove onto a plate.
Heat oil in the pan again and add fenugreek seeds and fresh chilies as seasoning.
Saute onion and ginger garlic paste till the smell has gone off and they look transparent or golden.
Furthermore, add coriander powder, red chili powder, Chopped tomato, tomato puree, turmeric powder, and salt.
Add some water and saute till the spice mix releases the oil. Now add fried potato and eggplant and mix well.
Add dried fenugreek leaves and lime juice. Mix well once again and add a little water if you need it more liquidy.
Garnish with some fresh cilantro. Serve with rice or roti, and enjoy!!!
Aloo Baingan/Potato Eggplant Curry
- 2 Medium Potatoes,long thick slices
- 4 Medium /Small Eggplant /Brinjal/Aubergine,long thick slices
- 1 Medium Ripe Tomato Chopped
- 1 Small/medium Chopped Onion
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 Tbsp Oil ,to cook the curry.
- Oil for shallow frying the potato slices and eggplant slices till golden.
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- ½ Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- ½ Tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 2 Fresh Chilies(Optional)
- 1 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Fresh Cilantro
- 1 Tsp Crushed Fenugreek Leaves(Optional)
- Salt to taste
- ½ Cup Water
- Wash and cut the vegetables. Take a pan or wok. Add the oil and heat it. Fry potato slices and eggplant slices separately till they look golden. Remove onto a plate.
- Heat oil in the pan again and add fenugreek seeds and fresh chilies as seasoning.
- Saute onion and ginger garlic paste till the smell has gone off and they look transparent or golden.That will take around 5-6 minutes.
- Furthermore, add coriander powder, red chili powder, Chopped tomato, and tomato puree along with turmeric powder and salt.
- Add water and saute till the spice mix releases the oil. Now add fried potato and eggplant and mix well.
- Add dried fenugreek leaves and lime juice. Mix well once again and add a little bit of water if you need it a little more liquidy.
- Garnish with some fresh cilantro. Serve with rice or roti and enjoy!!!
Leave a Reply