This Potato and Peas curry/Aloo Matar are one of my favourites. It is super simple to prepare and really delicious. Nowadays, when the evenings are getting cooler, sometimes I need a warm bowl of this comforting curry with rice. Then, after adding a dollop of ghee, this bowl is absolute heaven.
What is Potato Peas Curry?
It's a simple vegetarian aloo matar curry that does not involve lots of ingredients and spices. Potatoes, peas, and tomatoes are some of the basic ingredients used.
Additionally, making it does not require any expertise. It is easy, simple, and takes very little time.
What Can You Serve With This Curry?
It goes well with white rice, fried rice, Indian bread, or by itself.
Why Do I Love This Curry?
- Firstly, it is vegan and gluten-free.
- It takes very little time, is super easy to prepare, and also requires few ingredients.
- The home-style meal is an absolute classic.
What Ingredients Do We Need for Making the Potato and Peas Curry?
Potatoes- You can use any type of potato. If they are big, cut them into cubes after boiling. However, small / baby potatoes do not require cutting.
Peas- Any type of peas will go with this; frozen or fresh.
Tomatoes- I prefer vine-ripe tomatoes, but you can use any type.
Ginger-Garlic Paste- People who are looking for a workout can use a mortar-pestle, but you can certainly use a mixer grinder. A store-bought paste is also fine, but I like fresh ones better.
Onion- Mostly, I prefer red onions for Indian curries. However, you can use any other onions.
Turmeric powder, salt, coriander powder, red chilli powder, and garam masala powder are the spices we will need.
Additionally, dry red chili and cumin seeds are required for tempering as well as oil. Personally, I prefer using mustard oil, but you can also use any other oil of your choice.
You Can Try These Potato Curries As Well-
Aloo-Matar / Potato and Peas Curry
- 8-10 Baby Potatoes Boiled ,still firm.(if using big/Medium Potatoes, cut one into 4 pieces after boiling.
- 1 Medium Tomato
- ½ Cup Green Peas(Fresh /Frozen)
- 1 Medium Onion Chopped thinly
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ¼ Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt according to the taste.
- 2 Tbsp Mustard Oil(you can use oil of your choice)
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 Dry Red Chilli(Optional)
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- Boil the Potatoes ,peel them .If using big /Medium Potatoes cut them into 2 or 4 pieces.
- Chop tomatoes ,Onion .Keep everything handy.
- Take a pan .Add oil to it .Heat it .
- When its hot enough ,add Cumin seeds, and dry red chilli to it .Stir it once ,and let it crackle.
- Add onion to it . Saute it for 2 minutes or till it looks translucent .Add ginger garlic paste to it .Saute it for 1-2 minutes on medium flame till the raw smell is gone. .
- Add turmeric powder ,coriander powder ,red chill i powder to it .Stir it for 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and cook till they are mushy and mixed with spices. This step of sauting the spices with onion and tomato is quite important in Indian Cooking .Do it on low flame for 2 minutes .If you think spices are sticking to the pan add 1 tbsp of water to it. Then again stir it .
- Add potatoes to it .Mix it and stir it for 1 minutes .Add peas and Salt at this time .Mix it and cook it covered for 2 minutes. Stir it in between once.
- Add 1 cup of water and garam masala to it .Mix it nicely ad let it cook on medium flame for 1-2 minute. Taste the curry if you need salt add now .If curry is thin for your liking let it cook for another minute on medium /slow flame .If its thick add ½ cup of water.
- Garnish with fresh Cilantro and serve with white rice, naan bread or quinoa ,Couscous.