Sharing is Caring!!!
Quick , easy and delicious. Makhane ke dahi vade or fox nut dahi vada is a tangy, sweet, and spicy dahi vada made of lightly roasted fox nuts or Makhana. They are finger-licking good and need a few ingredients. Suitable for falahar or vrat recipe.
Makhana / Foxnut Dahi Vada is an Indian Chat dish- it is tangy, sweet, and spicy. Dahi Vada is among the most popular Chat items in India and people from all corners and nooks of the country like it. So many varieties and variations are available, and Fox Nut Dahi Vada is one of them.
A protein and mineral powerhouse, Fox Nut is a super healthy food that tastes delicious. In my family, we all love how light this wonderful dish feels when you eat it.
Did you know that Fox Nuts or Makhana grow in water? I am not even joking. These are lotus seeds, and Bihar (my home state) is the biggest producer in India.
I spent quite a long time in India's Fox Nut growing region. My mother ensured we ate it in so many forms: roasted, sweet, savory, desserts, curries, and even with lentils. We loved every dish that involved this excellent seed. It's nutritious, light, and delicious.
When I buy packets of Fox Nuts from grocery stores, I feel weird because I am so used to seeing big steel containers of Fox Nuts, a common sight back when I was young in the region.
Why Did I Use Fox Nuts for Making Dahi Vada?
I used Fox Nuts because it can be assembled quickly, and most of all, it suits the definition of a light Chat item. You can make this instantly with a few chutneys in your refrigerator.
Since Fox Nuts are used as a Falahari /Upvaas item in Hinduism, you can have this as a snack in your Vrat/fast. Just change the chutney /dip according to Vrat's requirement.
How to Make Makhane /Fox Nut Dahi Vada-
1-Roast the Fox Nuts in very little ghee/oil. The use of oil is optional since you can dry roast the Fox Nuts as well.
2- Prepare at least two types of chutney, one sweet and another savory.
3-Whisk yogurt with sugar and salt to make it more creamy and lump-free.
4- Mix roasted Fox Nuts with the yogurt nicely and let it sit for 6-8 minutes. My husband and I are from different schools of thought here. He eats a little crunchy and assembles them immediately after mixing them with yogurt. I like mine soft, just like Dahi Vada, so I let it sit for 8-10 minutes on my kitchen counter or the fridge. You can choose any type or in between.
4-Assemble the yogurt-soaked Makhana in a platter and garnish them with more yogurt, chutneys, sev, and other garnishes you choose.
5- I am sure you will enjoy this new version of Dahi Vada.
Makhane ke Dahi Vade / Fox Nut Dahi Vada
- 2 Cups Fox Nuts/Makhana
- 2.5 Cups Plain Yoghurt/Dahi
- ½ Cup Ice Cold Water
- ⅓ Cup Green Chutney
- ⅓ Cup Tamarind Chutney
- ⅓ Cup Fine Gram Flour Sev/Bhujia
- 1 Tbsp Ghee/Clarified Butter
- Salt According to the taste
- 1 Tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tbsp Roasted Cumin Powder(optional)
- 1 Tbsp Black Salt
- 1 Tbsp Chat Masala
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro (chopped)
- 2 Tbsp Powdered Sugar
- Take a wok. Add ghee (Clarified butter).Heat it .
- Lightly roast Fox Nuts till they feel crispy and look slightly brown here and there.
- Remove it in a bowl and keep it on the counter top.
- Take a big bowl ,add 2 cups of Yoghurt to it .Whisk it with a whisker. If its very thick then add little water ,do not make it runny .It should be thick and creamy.Keep ½ cup of yoghurt separate.We will use it later.
- Mix 1 tbsp sugar and little salt in to the yoghurt and whisk it again.
- Add all roasted Fox Nuts into the yoghurt and mix it well. Keep it in the fridge for 6-7 minutes. If you want little crunch /bite in the fox Nut use immediately.
- Take a serving platter ,place all of the fox Nut soaked in Yoghurt in that nicely .
- Now take ½ cup of yoghurt ,which we have kept separate and whisk it .Add rest ½ tbsp of sugar to it.
- We need to pour this extra yoghurt on top of Fox Nuts ,because sometimes Fox Nuts soak All the Yoghurts .If you are making it immediately ,you may not need extra but I feel that it gives a wonderful creamy touch.(and look )
- Garnish with different types of Chutney ,Sev,Fresh Cilantro leaves ,Red Chilli Powder,Cumin Powder,Rock Salt and Serve.
- Enjoy your guilt free Dahi Vada.