Air Fried Bharwa Karela/Stuffed Bitter Gourd
Par boiled bitter gourd stuffed with delicious tangy masala and then air fried till perfection.
For Preparing Bitter Gourd
- 4 Small Bitter Gourd/Karela
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Turmeric
For The Stuffing
- 2 Cups Thinly Chopped Onion
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Paste
- 1 Tbsp Yellow Mustard Paste
- 1.5 Tbsp Dry Mango Powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 Tbsp Seeds of Bitter Gourd (which we have removed) (Optional, but brings out a lovely taste)
- 2 Tbsp Mustard Oil / any oil of your choice
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Wash and clean the bitter gourds.
- Slit it in the middle. Remove all the seeds with the help of a spoon.
- Take a big pot and fill it with sufficient water. Add 1 tbsp of salt and 1 tsp of turmeric to it. Let it come to a boil.
- Drop all the bitter gourd in it. Boil till it's cooked 50 percent of the way.
- Remove it and drain the water which is inside. Tap dry with a paper towel.
- Leave it on the counter till we prepare the masala / spice mix.
- Take a pan. Heat it and add oil. Mustard oil needs smoking, so heat it till it reaches smoking point.
- Add onion to it. Saute for 1-2 minutes on medium flame.
- Add garlic paste and saute till all the raw smell is gone.
- Now add turmeric powder and dry mango powder to it. Saute it on medium flame.
- Add 2 tbsp of water and salt according to taste (don't put too much.) Stir it for 3-4 minutes to make a masala paste.
- After it releases oil, switch off the gas.
- With the help of a grinder, grind all the spice mix into a smooth paste.
- Remove it into a bowl. Add lemon juice to it.
Stuffing the Bitter Gourd
- Stuff all the bitter gourd with this spice mixture. You can do this with the help of a spoon- don't over-fill it.
Air Frying the Stuffed Bitter Gourd
- Preheat your air fryer at 370 F for 2 minutes.
- Lightly brush the bitter gourds with a little oil.
- Arrange it in the air fryer pan.
- Air fry on 370 F for 7-8 minutes .Your time can vary a little since my bitter gourds were small . I like mine little soft ,but that depends on personal preference.If you like ultra crisp then go ahead and do it .(There is no hard and fast rule in cooking ,it always depends on personal preference)
- Once done remove it from the air fryer.Garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!