Indian-style potato, cabbage, and peas curry. Extremely easy to make and flavorful, this home-style dry curry is made in under 25 minutes. This simple vegan and gluten-free curry goes well with rice, roti, or just by itself.
Do you love the crunchy texture of cabbage? If yes, then this dry potato, cabbage, and peas curry is just for you.
It takes really little time and uses not many spices. You can taste the vegetables, and the spices in the dish are not overpowering.
Growing up, we had this dry curry quite often in the winters. Now you may ask, why winters? In those times small towns of India, we had seasonal produce only
. Since cabbage was winter produce, we used to have it in the winters. It was super delicious along with some dal and rice.
I learned the trick of making this curry from my dad. He taught me the tricks, and by using them, I never lost the texture of the cabbage.
Mushy cabbage doesn't appeal to me as it doesn't give the same taste.
What Ingredients Are Needed for this Curry?
Cabbage- Fresh, green cabbage is a must for this curry. Do not use light-colored, yellowish-looking cabbage for this curry as it doesn't taste the same.
Potato- White potatoes or red potatoes are good for this. I will not suggest russet potatoes for this.
Green Peas- Frozen green peas are good for this dish.
Onion- I prefer red onions, but you can use any onion of your choice.
Avocado Oil or Oil of Your Choice
Dry Red Chili/Green Chili
You May Also Want To Check Out These Other Dry Curries-
What to Serve With This Potato, Cabbage, and Peas Curry-
I like to enjoy this dry curry with simple dal and white rice. With a dollop of ghee, it tastes just delicious. It tastes delicious with Indian flatbreads as well.
How to Make this Dry Curry in the Instant Pot-
Making this curry in an Instant Pot is super easy and takes very little time. Since potatoes' and cabbage's cooking time is quite different, the cooking process is a little different. To retain the texture of the cabbage and get the creamy potato is important.
Turn on the Saute button of the Instant pot. When it displays hot, add a little oil to it.
When it's hot enough, add cumin seeds, asafoetida, and dry red chili/green chili to it. Then, saute and let it crackle for 30 seconds.
After that, add diced onion to it. Saute till it sweats and looks translucent. Then, add ginger-garlic paste to it and saute till the raw smell is gone. Add diced potatoes to it. Stir it around and add turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, and a little bit of salt to it.
Saute and cook it till it is done at least sixty per cent. It will take around 2-3 minutes. Scrape the bottom part and if you think it's sticking to the bottom, add one tbsp of water to it.
Now is the time to mix chopped cabbage, green peas, and one tbsp of water. Scrape the bottom and make the bottom clean so that the burning sign won't appear. Then, close the lid and move the vent to seal in position.
Pressure cook this curry for one minute. After that, remove the pressure immediately since we don't want to lose most of the crunch.
Lastly, garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and lime juice. Stir it once and serve with rice and roti.
How to Cook this on the Stove-top-
Firstly, take a pan and heat it. Then, add oil to it. When it's hot enough, add cumin seeds, asafoetida, and red/green chili to it. Saute for 30 seconds and add diced onion to it. Saute till they look soft and translucent.
Then, add ginger-garlic paste and saute till the raw smell is gone. Add chopped potatoes to it. Saute on medium flame till it looks caramelized. It will take a couple of minutes.
Now, add turmeric powder and a little bit of salt to it. Cover the pan with a lid and cook the potatoes till they are seventy per cent soft but not breakable. Cook it on a slow flame. If you feel like it's sticking to the pan, add one tbsp of water and scrape the bottom.
After that, add chopped cabbage, red chili powder and coriander powder. Saute and mix it properly. Add green peas at this time. Cover it for 1 minute with a lid on a slow flame. Remove the lid and cook on medium flame.
Stir it once or twice. When the cabbage looks cooked to your taste, add fresh cilantro, lime juice, and serve. Your dry potato, cabbage, and peas curry is ready to enjoy.
Potato, Cabbage, and Peas Curry
- 3 Cups Shredded fresh Cabbage (wash it properly and drain it)
- 2 Medium /Small Potato, diced into one inch pieces.
- 1 Medium finely chopped onion
- ½ Cup Frozen Green Peas
- 1 Tbsp Avocado oil or any oil of your choice
- ½ Tsp Cumin seeds
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 1-2 Dry Red Chili
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- salt, accoording to the taste
- ½ Tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ Tsp Red Chili Powder
- ¼ Cup Chopped cilantro for garnish
- 1 Tbsp Lime juice
- 1 Tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
How to Make on a Stovetop
- Take a pan. Add oil to it. Heat it.
- When it's hot enough add cumin seeds, dry red chili, and asafoetida. Stir for 30 seconds.
- Add onion and saute till it looks soft. Mix all the diced potatoes, turmeic powder, and a little bit of salt and saute on medium flame till it looks a little caramalized or light brown in color.
- Cover the pan with a lid and keep it on slow flame. Cook the potatoes till they are sixty-seventy percent done.Remove the lid, and add cabbage, peas, red chili powder, and coriander powder to it.
- Mix well and cook on medium/slow flame. Cover the pan with a lid for 1 minute.
- Remove the lid. Cook on medium flame till it's done up to your taste. Check the salt. If you have to add, do it now.
- Garnish with cilantro and lime juice.
How to Make in An Instant Pot-
- Turn on the saute button of the Instant pot. Add oil to it. When it displays hot, add cumin seeds, dry red chili, and asafoetida.
- Next, add ginger-garlic paste and saute till the raw smell is gone.
- Next, add chopped onions and saute till they turn soft.
- Add diced potatoes, turmeric powder, and a little bit of salt to it. Cook for 2-3 minutes till they are half-cooked. Scrape the bottom if it's sticking and add one tbsp of water to it.
- Now add cabbage, peas, red chili powder, and coriander powder to the Instant pot.
- Mix properly. Add one tbsp of water and scrape the bottom again, otherwise, the burn sign will come up.
- Close the lid and turn the vent to seal in position. Cook on high pressure for one minute.
- Release the pressure manually and remove the lid.
- Stir the curry once and taste the salt. If needed, adjust it.
- Garnish with cilantro and lime juice.
- Serve and enjoy.