A lovely recipe for restaurant-style Shahi Paneer without all that extra cream and butter. This can easily be transformed into a vegan meal by using tofu and coconut milk.
Restaurant Style Shahi Paneer
A wonderful, creamy paneer gravy without all that butter and cream.
- 12-14 Big Cubes Paneer
- 1 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Inch Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 4 Cloves
- 2 Cups Onion Slices
- 2 Cups Tomato Slices
- 10 Cashews
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Tbsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- Salt according to taste
- 1 Tsp Ghee/Butter(Optional,do not use for lighter version)
- 1 Tbsp Long, thin slices of deseeded green chilli
- 1 Tbsp Ginger (thin slices)
- 2 Tbsp Low fat Yogurt (it shouldn't be sour,You can use Cream incase you want richer taste)
- 1 Tbsp Cream (Optional,don't use for lighter version)
- 1 Tsp Honey/Brown Sugar
- 1 Tsp Crushed Kasoori Methi/ Fenugreek leaves
- Soak all the paneer cubes in salted hot water till we make the gravy.
- Take a pan. Add oil to it.
- When it's hot, add cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and cumin seeds to it.
- Saute for 1 minute.
- Add ginger garlic paste to it. Saute till the raw smell is gone. It will take around 1-2 minutes.
- Add onion to it and saute till it looks transparent.
- Add turmeric, red chilli powder, and coriander powder to it.
- Saute for 1 minute. Add cashew nuts. Saute for another 1 minute.
- Add chopped tomato to it.
- Mix everything together and saute on low/ medium flame till it looks cooked. It will take 4-5 minutes.
- Blend everything together into a fine paste/ puree. It should be really smooth, not coarse.
- Take a pan again.
- Add ghee/ butter. (For lighter version do not use ,add just een chilli ,and ginger slices.Green chilli is also optional)
- When it's hot enough, add green chilli and ginger to it.
- Saute it for 30 seconds and add all the puree. Add salt according to your taste. Don't add much as this curry is mild.
- Let it simmer for 1-2 minutes and add whisked yogurt and cream to it.(do not use cream for lighter version)
- Drain all the water from the paneer by using paper towels and add it in the gravy.
- Add kasoori methi and honey to it.
- Let it simmer on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Taste the gravy and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve it with any type of Indian bread or white rice.