Sharing is caring!!!
Most decadent, luscious, and aromatic, this caramel rice pudding/caramel kheer is a heavenly dessert. Easy to prepare for a big crowd, this kheer is suitable for any occasion. A simple makeover of our special kheer combined with heavenly caramel sauce takes this dessert to another level.
I bet this is one of our kheer's most delicious makeovers. Instead of adding plain sugar to this dish, I used my homemade caramel sauce to flavor the kheer. Keeping the sweetness to the minimum for a more caramel look and feel, I have created layers of rice pudding and heavenly caramel sauce. This caramel rice pudding /caramel kheer is just delicious.
Each home of the Indian subcontinent makes kheer in one way or another. There are several types of kheer, and various grains or seeds are used for making this dessert. However, the most popular one is kheer, made of rice.
If you have not tasted it, you are missing out. No matter how many desserts there are, no one can beat our simple old rice kheer/pudding.
Why Caramel Kheer?
My kids love caramel sauce and kheer, too, so for this holiday season, I thought I would combine their favorites and make a wonderful dessert.
What Ingredients are Needed for this Kheer?
There are two steps in this recipe:
- First, the making of Kheer/Rice Pudding.
- The making of caramel sauce.
For Caramel Sauce:
Butter- You can use vegan butter or typical butter.
Sugar- Any granulated sugar works in this recipe.
Heavy Cream- Any vegan cream or heavy cream for this recipe.
I have not used salt in this caramel sauce.
For Rice Pudding/Kheer:
Rice- Any short-grain rice works best for kheer.
Milk- Any vegan milk of your choice or whole milk. You can use half & half, and whole milk in equal quantities.
Instead of sugar, I used the same caramel sauce to sweeten the kheer.
You May Also Be Interested in Checking Out Other Desserts:
Caramel Rice Pudding/Caramel Kheer
For Caramel Sauce
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 6 Tbsp Butter
- ½ Cup Heavy Cream
For Rice Kheer/Pudding
- ½ Cup Short Grain Rice
- 6 Cup Half & Half/Whole milk/Almond Milk for vegan alternative
- 1 Tbsp Ghee/butter
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Almonds
- 4 Tbsp Caramel Sauce (which we made earlier)
For Caramel Sauce
- Heat sugar in a heavy bottom pan ,over medium heat.
- Stir continuously with a spatula. Sugar will take time to melt and form a golden liquid .
- Stir the liquid with spatula and do not let it burn . Stir in the butter and mix it with sugar .
- Furthermore mix heavy cream to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Stir continously,as it will start bubbling.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool.
- Caramel has a natural tendency to thicken .
- Store in the fridge and use after reheating the sauce.
- Enjoy as a topping on any dessert of your choice.
Making of rice kheer in the Instant Pot
- Turn Instant pot to saute mode .When it displays hot add ghee and rice .
- Saute it for 30 second till they look light golden .
- Add milk and almonds to it .Stir it around and close the lid.
- Cancel the saute button and turn on the porridge button .
- When its done let it release the steam naturally.
- Remove the lid and add caramel sauce to it .If it looks thick for your taste add little bit of warm milk to it .
- Stir it around and arrange in small glasses .
- I prefer to arrange layers of rice pudding /kheer and caramel in between .
- Top it with a caramel sauce and slivered almonds.
- Serve warm or cold.