Loaded with colourful, crunchy vegetables and packed with flavour, this Korean vegetable pancake is a wonderful breakfast. Serve this super easy and savoury pancake for a leisurely Sunday brunch or rushed snack and you will love it. Kid-approved and vegan, this Korean vegetable pancake is a delight to have.
Holidays call for family time and when everyone is around, we tend to cook more. If you are looking for savoury breakfast ideas, then this recipe is for you. It's fast, easy, and quite filling.
This Korean vegetable pancake is loaded with several vegetables and it is called Yachaejeon in Korean.
What is Yachaejeon ?
Yache means vegetables and Jeon is a general term referring to the pancake. There are several types of pancakes in Korea but vegan or vegetable pancake is popular too.
These vegetable pancakes can be easily customised to your liking by adding or subtracting your choice of vegetables.
I have used all sorts of my favourite vegetables like purple cabbage, carrots, red peppers, scallions, mushrooms, potatoes, and garlic in this recipe. It's amazing how the flavour gets combined.
What Type of Dipping Sauce is Needed for this Pancake?
I always serve chilli garlic oil or Szechuan sauce for the dipping sauce. However, based on your taste it could be anything.
What is the Difference Between Chinese Scallion Pancake and Korean Pancake?
Chinese scallion pancake is quite different from the traditional pancake method. Here we knead a soft dough using hot water. Scallions are used after making the dough and it's almost like a cinnamon roll kind of method.
However, for this Korean pancake, we make a rational batter like all-purpose flour batter and then mix all the shredded vegetables in there. Cooking is the same as after heating the pan, we spread the batter and then cook on both sides till they get crispy from outside and soft from inside.
What Ingredients are Needed for this Pancake?
Corn Starch- To give a nice crispy texture.
Or any vegetable of your choice!
You May Want To Check Some Other Asian Recipes,
Korean Vegetable Pancake
- 1 Cup All Purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 Pinch Baking powder
- ½ Tsp Black Pepper,crushed
- Black salt /Salt to taste
- 1-1.5 Cups Water
- ½ Cup Shreded Potato
- 1 Cup Purple Cabbage
- ½ Cup Shredded Carrot
- 1 Chopped Green Chili Pepper
- 1 Bunch Chopped Scallion
- ½ Cup Sliced Onion(Optional)
- 4 Tbsp Oil of your choice
- ½ Cup Sliced mushroom
- ¼ Cup Sliced Red Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Garlic
- Take a large bowl.Mix all the dry ingredients.
- Mix dry ingredients with water.Use a whisk to make a lump- free batter.Consistency will be pancake -like batter.
- Mix in the vegetables and coat them properly.
- Take a non- stick pan or a heavy cast iron pan .Its always easy to handle pancakes in a non stick pan.(for beginner cook)
- Heat 1 -1.5 tbsp oil into the pan(enough to cook a crispy pancake).
- Pour batter with a ladle and spread it around. Size depends on your choice.
- You can make it thick or thin.
- Cook till one side turns golden and crispy. Use medium flame for that.
- Turn it over and cook till another part also gets crispy. Make sure its cooked perfectly.
- Remove on a plate.
- Serve with a dip of your choice.