I am trying to incorporate millet and whole grains in our meal and for that I am experimenting with different varieties of the same.
So for today’s dessert, I made a foxtail millet Kheer with Jaggery, Saffron,Rose petals and Pistachio.
It was a delicious combination of grains, nuts, and jaggery.
Foxtail Millet and Saffron Kheer/Foxtail Millet Pudding
- 1.5 Litre Milk
- 1 Cup Fox Tail Millet
- 1 Cup Jaggery (Grated or powder)
- 8-10 Saffron strands.
- 1/3 Cups Mixed Nuts.
- 1 Tbsp Ghee(For roasting the fox tail millet)Its optional.
- Rose Petals and Nuts for garnishing.
- Take a heavy bottom Pan.Add all 1.5 litres of Milk to it.
- Let it boil.
- Take a different pan . Heat it .
- Add one tbsp of Ghee to it.
- Wash the millet and remove all the excess water by straining it.
- Add Millet into the Ghee and fry it on slow flame . That gives a lovely aroma and nutty taste .If you don’t want to use Ghee ,just dry roast the millet on slow flame .
- Remove it from the Pan after it looks golden /Light brown . It will take around 2-3 minutes ob slow flame . Don’t over roast it .
- Once the milk comes to boil add Millet to it .
- Turn the heat to low and let it cook till the millet is done al dente..It will take around 20 -25 minutes.
- Crush saffron with your finger tips or in a small mortar pestle and add it to the milk .Let it simmer for 10 minutes more on slow flame.
- Add Jaggery to it and let it cook on the slow flame for further thickening . it would take around 5-7 minutes. Do it on the slow flame otherwise it will curdle.This step is really important . I have used Kolhapuri Jaggery because it was light in color. Kheer colour may vary because of your Jaggery.
- Add mixed Nuts to it .
- Mix it nicely .
- Your Kheer/ Pudding is ready .
- Remove from the flame .
- Garnish it with Nuts and rose petals .
- If you like, serve it chilled.