Sharing is caring!!
My take on this delicious, comforting Malaysian red curry soup. This vegetarian Laksa Noodle Soup is a beautiful combination of colorful, crunchy vegetables of your choice and creamy coconut milk broth. It's spicy, nutty, and delicious. Vegan and plant-based, this vegetarian laksa soup is an excellent option for leisurely lunch and cozy dinner.
I am a big fan of one-pot comforting meals and south asian flavors. If you combine these two for a great bowl of noodle soup, then it's a significant win. This Malaysian soup is everything we crave for a midweek meal or a cozy Sunday dinner. It's fun and has a fantastic riot of colors and flavors.
What is Laksa Noodle Soup?
A few years back, we went to Malaysia for vacation and had the most flavorful authentic laksa noodle soup there. It was spicy, hearty, a little bit tangy, and so flavorful. Unlike what we tried earlier, it was just a breath of fresh air. Getting a vegetarian version was a challenge, though, with a bit of luck, I got the chance to sample it.
The veg version of Laksa Soup is loaded with colorful, crunchy vegetables, fresh herbs, coconut milk, and silky noodles/your choice of protein. This is a satisfying complete meal that nourishes your soul. So whip up this soup for your next get-together or date night and get tons of compliments. The best part is that you can prepare the laksa paste a day before and serve the soup in less then twenty minutes. It's fun. Isnt it?
How to make Laksa Paste?
Laksa paste is prepared by combining a lot of herbs and fragrant spices. Start by roasting coriander seeds and cumin seeds. In a mortar and pestle, crush them to make a smooth powder.
In a blender, combine shallots, ginger, garlic, red chili paste, turmeric powder, lemon grass stalk, kafir lime leaves. Red chili paste is made by soaking dry red chilies for 30 minutes in hot water and later by grinding them into a fine paste. Mix a little bit of salt. Mix everything to make spicy, flavorful laksa paste.
Cook the Laksa paste in a little cooking oil for the most amazing enhanced flavor. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge or freezer for a long time. You can freeze like ice cubes as well.
My Popular Soup recipes,
Why We love Vegterian Laksa Soup?
It's beautiful to look at. Who doesn't like looking at a pretty bowl or plate, especially in this social media frenzy? This bowl is the perfect Instagram-friendly bowl.
Easy to make and need very staple pantry ingredients.Thats true . Most of us carry these staples in our homes, and if there is any difficulty in finding lemon grass or kaffir lime leaves, just replace them with lime juice and zest.
You can easily customize them according to your taste and choice. This can be made by using vegan, vegetarian, or non-vegetarian protein.
Vegetarian Laksa Soup
- 5 Shallots
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Inch Ginger
- 2 Lemon grass stalks chopped into chunks4
- 4 Kafir Lime Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Seeds
- ½ Tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Fresh Red Chili
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 TBSP Red Chili Paste /Sambel Olek
- 1 Can Thick Coconut Milk
- 4 Kafir Lime leaves
- 1 Tsp Coconut sugar/brown sugar
- 1 Tsp Soy Sauce
- Salt to taste
- 1 Cup Mixed vegetables of your choice. I have used carrot ,green beans ,baby corn.
- 1 Cup Any noodle of your choice.
Making of Laksa Paste
- Blend shallots,garlic,fresh chilies,kaffir lime leaves,lemon grass ,roasted coriander seeds ,roasted cumin seeds,red chili paste ,turmeric powder and a little bit of salt to make a fine paste. Use as little water as possible.
- Saute it in a pan to intensify and deepen the flavors. Use 2 tbsp of oil while doing that.
- Boil your noodles according to the package instruction.Saute the vegetables to get a nice flavor.
- Heat a pan and combine water,soy sauce ,coconut milk ,laksa paste (according to your taste)
- Add coconut sugar/brown sugar and if needed salt for the taste.
- Add vegetables and cook the soup for 6-7 minutes to combine the flavors.
- Pour the soup over noodles in a bowl ,garnish with fresh chilies and toppings of your choice.