Vegan Lentil Soup. One pot, full of vegetables and lentil goodness, delicious and so easy to prepare. This lentil soup is ideal for meal prep and large-batch cooking and contains protein, vitamins, and fiber. This dish is hearty and super delicious with a piece of crusty bread or a green salad.
Looks like this winter weather is not going to change soon. Chilly cold mornings, wet afternoons, and gloomy evenings make everything unbearable.
The only thing I crave every now or then is good comforting food after a long day.
If you are like me by any chance, you must be looking for lovely ideas for a comforting one-pot meal idea. Slaving around the kitchen is not my idea of cooking food.
Raising two kids alone with a super busy husband taught me to take things at a much more leisurely pace. Hence, easy cooking and simple recipes are my things.
I love how easy and nutritious this bowl of soup is. People associate vegan with tedious, but let me tell you, not anymore. This hearty bowl of lentils with so much texture and the color is anything but boring. It's springy and has a lovely aroma.
This bowl of soup is ideal for every day and any meal. This is ideal for you if you complain that your kids do not like to eat vegetables.
Spring is the ideal time for making this soup with perfect lemony flavors, besides using fall and winter. It's fresh, clean, and very filling at the same time.
Why Will You Love this Vegan Lentil Soup?
This dish is super easy and fun to make! This one-pot recipe which is ideal for busy people, can be prepared in large amounts and is freezer friendly.
I have shared the Instant pot and stovetop methods with you all. You can cut down on time by using canned lentils and frozen vegetables.
It is just a dump-and-go kind of recipe with not many spices and very little sauteing.
Ideal for vegan and vegetarian people. Great for meatless Mondays. Super delicious and healthy as well.
What Ingredients are Needed for this Recipe?
Lentils- Brown lentils or green lentils will work perfectly in this recipe. You can use canned ones or dry ones, depending on your choice.
Vegetables- I have used carrots, green beans, and a few pieces of pumpkin. However, you are certainly more than welcome to use your choice of vegetables.
Aromatics- Onion and ginger garlic are the main components. The soothing flavor of soup lies in the best flavors of golden roasted garlic and ginger.
Spices- Turmeric powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder, and salt.
Fresh red chili pepper, lots of lemons, and a handful of spring mix to garnish or serve along if you desire. Lastly, your favorite cooking oil and a can of crushed tomato or tomato puree.
How to Cook in an Instant Pot-
Cooking in an Instant pot is super easy and quite convenient from the cleaning point of view. Lentils and beans take time on the stovetop, so for that reason, cooking in an Instant pot is innovative and time-efficient.
Heat the Instant pot on saute mode and add oil to it. When it displays hot, add all the aromatics and saute till golden and caramelized.
Add all the other spices, salt, and red chili pepper. Stir for 30 seconds and make sure they are not burning. Turn off the Instant Pot. Further, add any vegetables you are using in this recipe.
Deglaze the pot by pouring a little bit of water and scraping everything stuck on the bottom with the help of a spatula. This process is really important if you do not want a burn sign.
Add crushed tomato sauce or whole roasted tomato, whichever you are using. Add water or veg stock/chicken stock as you like. Close the Instant pot lid and turn the valve to seal in position.
Cook the soup under high pressure for nine minutes. The texture will be soft. If you want a little bit of al dente texture, go for 7 minutes.
Sprinkle some lemon juice and salad greens, and serve with a piece of crusty bread.
Can You Make this Vegan Soup with Red Lentils-
Yes. However, your texture will be a little different. Red lentils are the softest lentil and do not hold their shape in the cooking process. Brown lentils and green lentils are, however, best for soup with a bit of lentil texture.
How to Make Soup on the Stovetop-
If you don't have an Instant pot, you can easily make this soup by following my recipe. Use a big pot or dutch oven to make this soup.
Use the directions in the recipe, saute all the ingredients, and after covering them, simmer for a while.
This takes a little more time than Instant Pot. You may need to add extra water/broth because of more evaporation during the cooking time.
Finish the cooking process by bringing everything together.
Can You Store it in the Fridge?
You can store this soup for 3-4 days in freezer-safe containers. Reheat when needed and serve with a lovely side of your choice.
My Most Popular Lentil Recipes-
Dal Palak/Lentil Soup with spinach
Vegan Lentil Soup
- 1 Tbsp Avocado oil
- 1 Small Red onion, chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced or chopped
- 2 Medium Chopped Carrots (not very thin slices)
- ½ Cup Chopped Green Beans
- ½ Tsp Coriander Powder
- ¼ Tsp Garam masala Powder
- ¼ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 8 Oz Crushed tomato/Puree
- 2 Cup Vegetable Stock
- 1 Cup Dry Brown Lentils, Washed and soaked for 30 minutes. Replace with 13 oz canned lentil.
- 1 Fresh Red Chili Pepper (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Spring greens for serving
- Lemon juice/fresh lemon
- Heat the oil in the Instant Pot using the saute function. Add garlic and onion, and saute till it looks golden and translucent.
- Add carrot and beans along with all the dry spices and stir for a minute.
- Furthermore, add broth and water to deglaze the bottom. Scrape off the bits if any are left.
- Add washed and soaked beans to the pot and give it a quick stir.
- Mix crushed tomato or puree in the Instant Pot.
- Stir the Instant Pot once again and add salt to taste.
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 9 minutes. Reduce the time to 5 minutes when cooking with canned lentils.
- Your vent will be on seal in position.
- When the cooking time ends, allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Carefully open the lid after all the steam has escaped.
- Give the soup a stir and if you want to add some water and seasoning, go ahead and do it.
- Serve alongside some bread and spring greens. A generous sprinkle of lemon is recommended.
Leave a Reply