This air fryer crispy tofu is super easy to make and tastes delicious. Corn starch mixed with some pantry staple spices creates a wonderfully crisp texture. Vegan and kid-approved, this tofu can be served as a snack appetizer or in a salad/buddha bowl.
Do you love tofu but hate the watery texture of it? Folks, then this post is for you. I will tell you all the do's and don'ts for getting perfectly crispy, and really delicious tofu. The best part of this recipe is that it uses an air fryer for that less oil /no oil tofu and it takes less time than the oven.
Why Do I Love this Air Fryer Crispy Tofu?
It is air-fried so uses really little or no oil.
Uses very simple pantry staples as a spice.
It's vegan and gluten-free.
Takes really little time.
Can You Make this Tofu Oil Free?
Absolutely. In this recipe I have used one tbsp of oil but if you want you can simply skip the oil and mix everything together. Air fry them at 380 f for 10-12 minutes or a few minutes extra for super crispy tofu.
What Ingredients are Needed for Making Air Fryer Tofu?
Extra Firm Tofu- Extra-firm tofu is best for this recipe. You will not get the right texture with any other tofu. Pressing with a tofu press or paper towel is also very important.
Garlic Powder- Garlic gives the tofu a beautiful flavor. Since tofu is bland in taste we need something to help the taste pop.
Chili Powder/Paprika- Depending on your preference of spice level of red chili you can use chili powder.
Salt- Kosher salt is best for sprinkling but please be judicious when using salt in this recipe. A subtle hint of salt always tastes better with tofu and that's what you need.
Black pepper- a little bit of crushed black pepper brings out the flavor.
Oil-If you are using oil you can certainly use the oil of your choice.
Why Air Fryer Tofu?
Making crispy tofu on the gas stove requires deep frying and since we don't like to use too much oil in my recipes, I used an air fryer. Baking also makes tofu crisp without much oil but it takes a lot of time. The use of an air fryer always reduces time. So time-saving and no oil /fewer oil options always keeps us motivated to make air fryer tofu.
You May Also Want to Check Out Other Tofu Recipes-
How to Store It?
Keep them in an airtight box in a fridge. It can stay fresh for up to one week. Air fry them again for a minute or two just before serving.
Air Fryer Crispy Tofu
- 14 Oz Extra Firm Tofu, pressed and cubed.
- 2 Tbsp Corn starch
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder, you can reduce the quantity
- ½ Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Oil, I have used olive oil
- ¼ Tsp Crushed Black pepper
- Press the tofu after drying. If you don't have a tofu press use layers of paper towel.
- Preheat the air fryer to 380 f for 2-3 minutes.
- Take a big bowl. Mix everything written under the ingredient list.
- Make sure tofu is coated well with all the spices.
- Arrange spice coated tofu in the air fryer nicely. Make sure they are on one layer.
- Air fry them at 380 f for 12-13 minutes or till it reaches your desired crispiness.
- Enjoy with a dip or chutney of your choice.