Garlicky Spinach Pulao. A simple dish with tempting flavors. This instant pot spinach pulao/rice has a big, bold garlic flavor and it is just finger-licking delicious. Additionally, it is vegan and gluten-free.
If you love rice then you must be on the lookout for different recipes to tantalize your taste buds. Trust me, we are a family of rice eaters and I love to make this Garlicky Spinach Pulao at least once a week. Quite a few times, I want to incorporate certain vegetables or flavors in the rice to make it more flavorful or nutritious.
What is Pulao?
Pulao is traditionally Middle Eastern pilaf. Pilaf/Pulao is a rice dish that is cooked in a pot with different types of whole spices, vegetables, or any type of protein. It's a rice delicacy that is totally delicious.
In previous times, it was cooked in wooden /mud stoves in traditional metal pots. However, with the beginning of new-age cooking, the Instant pot comes to light. It is super easy to cook in this pot and it really saves a lot of time.
Why Garlicky Spinach Pulao?
Spinach is a superfood. It's full of iron, magnesium, folates, and minerals. Cooking spinach with rice increases the nutrition level of the rice.
It's always more delicious with the inclusion of lots of garlic and onion. Serving this rice to the family makes sure that they are getting the benefit of spinach.
Garlic is my favorite. No, don't be concerned about it. It surely is a wonderful spice that totally elevates the flavor profile.
At home, we all love to use garlic in every type of dish and it certainly makes them more delicious.
What Ingredients are Needed For This?
Spinach- Both fresh and frozen spinach works fine in this recipe since we are making a puree out of it.
Garlic- Lots of chopped garlic is the key to the recipe.
Onion- I prefer red onion, but of course, you can use any onion of your choice. One more thing- feel free to use shallot instead of onion!
Red Pepper flakes
Oil/Ghee- I have used avocado oil for making this and I later added a little bit of ghee for flavoring.
Green Chili- I used Jalapeno peppers for mild flavor and serrano chili for a little bit more spice.
Garam masala Powder
How To Make Garlicky Spinach Pulao in an Instant Pot-
Making this rice in an Instant pot is super easy. Cook the rice and spinach puree with aromatics and your flavorful spinach pulao will be ready in a jiffy. I can't tell you how easy it is to use the Instant pot guys, and if you are not using it already, think about it.
How to Make This on the Stove Top-
See, if you guys don't own the Instant pot, I still love you and will share the simple recipe which involves a humble pot and gas stove.
First, after washing the spinach, make a puree of spinach and green chili. Then, wash and drain the rice. After that, switch on the gas stove and place a pan on it. Add oil and let it heat. Then, add all the whole spices and cumin seeds to it, and let it crackle.
Add chopped garlic to it and saute till it gets light brown in color. After that, add chopped onion, red pepper flakes, turmeric powder, and stir it around for 1 minute. Add spinach puree and rice, mix it around, and add vegetable stock. Bring it to a boil and then slow the flame.
Then, cover it with a lid. Switch off the flame after the rice looks done. It takes almost 13-14 minutes for 2 cups of rice. Do not remove the lid and let it cool down for ten minutes. Fluff it with a fork and your rice is ready.
What to Serve With this Spinach Pulao-
Rajma Masala/Red Kidney Beans Curry
Garlicky Spinach Pulao
- 2 Cups Basmati Rice,uncooked
- 1.5 Cups Spinach Leaves
- 2 Cups Water/Vegetable Stock
- 4 Cloves Minced Garlic
- ½ Medium Chopped Onion
- 2 Tbsp Avocado oil
- 1 Jalapeno ,chopped ,seeds removed
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ Tsp Red Pepper Flakes(Optional)
- ½ Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Tbsp Lime/Lemon Juice
- Salt ,according to the taste.
- 1 Inch Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 2 Bay Leaves
- ½ Tsp Cumin Seeds
- Rinse the rice in cold water for 3-4 times till it runs clear.
- Drain the water from rice and keep it aside in a plate.
- Make a puree of spinach leaves ,water and green chili .
- Turn the saute button of the instant pot on.
- When it says hot add oil to it .
- Add whole spices and cumin seeds to it. Let them crackle ..
- Add chopped garlic and stir it around.When it looks light brown add chopped onion to it .This will not take more than 1 minute.
- Add red pepper flakes turmeric powder and stir it around once. If it looks like its sticking to the bottom cancel the button and add 1 tsp of water . Stir it once more..
- Add Spinach puree and rice to it. Add garam masala powder to it ..
- Level the rice nicely .Scrape from all the sides.
- Cover the Instant pot with lid.
- Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.Keep the ven in seal in position .
- After 5 minutes let it release the steam naturally .
- Open the lid the fluff it with a fork .
- Enjoy with some raita or curry .
Leave a Reply