Dum Paneer Masala is rich, delicate, and delectable curry. It has a depth of flavors. Easy to make, this dish is great for serving on special occasions. Bright and colorful, this paneer gravy is great to pair with any Indian flatbread or rice.
Aren't you guys bored of eating the same paneer gravies again and again? Here at my home, repeating the same curries seem like a sin. Everyone is looking for something new and interesting. So for them, my husband and I are creating new recipes. This dum paneer masala is one such recipe.
Why Is This Recipe Called Dum Paneer?
We are using the ancient method of cooking the paneer curry on dum just like biryani. The Dum method is cooking something on a very slow flame for a long time covered with a lid. This method gives a rich look and amazing flavor to all the dishes.
Cooking paneer on dum is not a common cooking practice and while developing this recipe my husband was totally in. Finally, I agreed. Paneer dishes are, after all, his forte. His favorite dishes are all paneer dishes and he likes to cook them as well.
What Ingredients are Used in Making Dum Paneer?
Paneer, ghee/oil, ginger garlic paste, red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, onion, tomato, kasoori methi, cream, yogurt, and almond paste.
What Type of Paneer is Good for This Dish?
I use homemade paneer for this dish Paneer Dum Masala. Homemade paneer is more creamy and sweet, hence suitable for this gravy. You can always use store-bought paneer but remember to soak it in hot water for at least 30 minutes.
Important Points to Remember While Making Dum Paneer-
The most important point is to cook paneer in a pan or vessel with a heavy bottom.
Always dum the paneer on the lowest flame.
Don't rush the time to saute the spice mix. Indian cooking needs lots of patience for cooking on a slow flame.
Always crush kasoori methi in your palm and then add.
Lastly, if you can use ghee, using ghee in making the curry is advisable.
What Can You Serve with Dum Paneer?
You can serve any type of Indian bread or rice with it. Personally, I prefer to eat butter naan with it but butter roti will taste great with this recipe as well. You may also want to serve them with Saffron Rice or Carrot & Peas Pulao.
You May Also Want to Check Out These Other Recipes.
Badami Paneer/Paneer in Creamy Almond Curry
Dum Paneer Masala
- 300 Gms Paneer ,Large cubes
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tbsp Ghee/Butter
- 1.5 Tbsp Kashmii red chilli powder mixed with 3 tbsp of water
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Medium Onion ,chopped
- 2 Medium Tomatoes ,pureed
- 1 Tbsp Crushed Kasoori Methi
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- Salt ,according to the taste.
- 2 Tbsp Cream
- 4 Tbsp Whisked Yoghurt
- 10-12 Almonds ,soak in hot water for 30 minutes and make a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan .
- Once its hot enough add cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- Add onion to it .Saute on low medium flame till it looks pink.This will take arond 5-6minutes.
- Add ginger garlic paste .Saute till all the raw smell is gone .
- Reduce the heat to low and add kashmiri red chilli powder mixed with water to it .
- Add coriander powder,turmeric powder to it and saute it for 2 minute.
- Add tomato puree,salt and cook on medium heat covered with a lid till the oil seperates.It will take 6-7 minutes.
- Add almond paste and stir for 2-3 minute on low heat .
- Add whisked yoghurt and kasoori methi .Cook it on low flame for 1-2 minute .
- Add paneer and drizzle one tbsp of ghee /butter on it .
- Cover the pan with a tight lid and cook on low flame for 7-8 minutes.
- Finish the cooking with 2 tbsp of cream .
- Serve and enjoy.
Hi Smita, I am a complete foodie and just enjoy reading through your recipes and trying them out. I started off with your Bhatura recipe, which I could never get right till I came across your recipe. The pics, description everything is perfect.. please continue sharing the scrumptious recipes...Thanks!!
Thank you so much for your kind words.You really made my day.
I am so glad that the recipe worked for you .