The best garlicky spinach flavour combined with the creaminess of chickpeas and boiled Potato. This dish is super easy, nutritious, and filling. It is also one of our go-to easy meals for busy weekdays or relaxing weekends. This garlicky chickpea spinach curry is the best vegan curry.
What is Garlicky Chickpea Spinach Curry?
Boiled creamy chickpeas and cubed potatoes (optional) are cooked in a pureed spinach curry. The ultimate flavour comes from the garlic and red chilli tempering. This is one of the most wonderful Indian curries and a personal favourite of mine.
Ingredients needed for garlicky Chickpea Spinach Curry---
Chickpeas-I like to use dry chickpeas. I soaked them overnight and then boiled it for stove top curry. The Instant pot recipe also doesn't require that you to boil it separately. Canned Chickpeas are quite convenient to use, so you can use them if you want. It will work perfectly.
Spinach-I am really particular about my spinach. Most of the time, I prefer to buy organic spinach and if it's not available, I try to buy baby spinach leaves. You can certainly use spinach of your own preference. Frozen spinach cubes are also perfect for this recipe.
Potato-From my point of view, yukon gold potatoes are just awesome. Because I love potatoes, I have boiled and used them in the curry. It's totally optional though.
Tomato- I have used one big vine ripe tomato. I am a little biased toward them. I love the beautiful color they provide for the curry, so I use them frequently in my curry. You can use any ripe tomato or even canned tomato puree /tomato paste.
Ginger Garlic Paste- Using fresh paste is always advisable, but that doesn't mean you cannot use store bought ones. Fresh ones have a wonderful flavor which makes our curry just irresistible.
Onion- I always use red onions for Indian curries because they are not very sweet and provide a good balance to the curry. You can use any onions of your choice.
Oil-I have used avocado oil. You can opt for any oil of your choice.
Coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, chopped garlic, salt, garam masala powder, and fresh cilantro for the garnish.
What Can You Serve with Garlicky Chickpea Curry?
Team Naan or Rice? Well good news for whichever you are. It goes well with any Indian bread and curry. It's just amazingly delicious and loved by everyone.
Why Chickpeas and Spinach?
This combination is a match made in heaven. Chickpeas are a wonderful source of protein and spinach is full of so many vitamins. Additionally, if you are using potatoes, they are a good source of carbohydrates. The curry is a complete meal in itself and provides hearty nutrition to the body.
Can You Store Garlicky Chickpea Spinach Curry?
Absolutely. You can store these for up to 3 days in the fridge and one month in the freezer. Keep the curry in separate freezer safe container and keep it after it comes to room temperature and not at all hot.
What Variations Can You Have for Garlicky Chickpea Spinach Curry?
1- If you do not like garlic, do not add it. It will be a chickpea spinach curry and will still taste delicious.
2- You can add a little cream to make it more creamy and drool-worthy.
3- If you have some kale lying around, use that in making the curry. Use an equal quantity of spinach and kale for the curry which will be saag chana.
4. Some people do not want to have pureed spinach gravy. In that case, add chopped spinach leaves instead of puree. It will still taste great.
5- If you want to use Paneer cubes, go ahead and do it. The curry will taste good just with chickpeas,Paneer and potatoes.
6- Using potatoes is also optional and an only chickpea curry/chickpea spinach curry is awesome too.
7- I have done a tempering of ghee, chopped garlic, and red chilli powder. However, that is optional. If you want to do that's perfect, but for a more healthier version do not use that.
You May Want to Check Out these Recipes Which Go Well with this Curry---
Lastly, Baked Missi Roti
Garlicky Chickpeas In Spinach Curry
Stove top Method
- 2 Cups Boiled soft chickpeas
- 1 Medium Cubed Potato
- 2 Cups Blanched and pureed spinach.
- 1 Big Chopped ripe tomato
- 1 Medium Chopped Onion
- 1 Tbsp Ginger -Garlic Paste
- 1 Tsp Chopped Garlic
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Dry red chilli
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ½ Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt according to the taste
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tbs Ghee/Butter/Oil
- 1 Tsp Chopped Garlic
- ½ Tsp Red Chilli Powder
Stove Top Method
- Take a pan.
- Add oil to it .When its hot enough add cumin seeds and dry red chilli.Let it crackle.
- Add chopped garlic to it .Saute it till it looks light brown.Add chopped onion and stir it for 1 minute.At this moment add ½ tsp of salt to it.Mix it properly.Add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell is gone.
- Add turmeric powder ,red chilli powder ,and coriander powder to it .Stir and cook it for 1 minute.
- Add Chopped tomato to it .Cook it for 2-3 minute till the spice mix look mushy.
- At this stage add potato and chickpeas to it .Stir and mix it properly.Cook it on slow flame for 1 minute.
- Add spinach puree and garam masala to it .Stir it and mix it with chickpeas and potatoes.
- Add two cups of water to it .Taste the gravy and add salt according to your taste .
- Let it cook for 2 minutes on slow flame .
- If its thick for your liking add some water if its thin ,let it cook for 1 more minute.
- Chickpea spinach curry is ready .
- Add one tbsp of butter /ghee /oil to a small tempering pan.
- When its hot enough add chopped garlic to it .when it looks light brown add red chilli powder and pour it immediately over chickpea spinach curry.
- Serve it hot and enjoy.