Tandoori Mushroom Tikka. This is the most amazing and delicious mushroom tikka appetizer. In addition, this can easily be converted into a full meal by serving with naan or pita bread, salad, and some chutney.
Spring is not here yet, but I am craving light meals already. After a rushed Saturday morning with Piano Federation we were only able to go grocery shopping in the early afternoon. By the time we were done with everything, both of us were tired. Then, I saw some beautiful button mushrooms that were looking for my attention. Hence, I marinated the mushrooms, thinking about grilled mushroom tikka.
We love to make all types of grilled tikka/baked tikka. Roasted Tandoori Cauliflower is my favourite. If you like cheese and broccoli then you should try Cheesy Malai Broccoli. It's just amazing and really delicious. For paneer lovers I have Restaurant Style Paneer Tikka. You will love these appetizers/snacks/main meals. These recipes are just perfect for entertaining as well for easy grilling on summer days.
What Type of Mushrooms Can Be Used for Tandoori Mushrooms?
You don't need any mushrooms with an overpowering and strong flavor for tandoori mushrooms. Personally, I prefer using button mushrooms but Baby Bella can be used as well.
What Ingredients Do You Need for Making Tandoori Mushrooms?
Mushroom- Button mushrooms as well as Baby Bella mushrooms will be best for this.
Yoghurt- I have used plain greek yoghurt for marination, however, you can use normal hung yoghurt for it as well. Just hang the yoghurt in a cheesecloth for 30 minutes to one hour at least (the longer, the better). For a vegan alternative, use almond yoghurt or coconut yoghurt, depending on your taste.
Ginger Garlic Paste- Grind an equal amount of ginger and garlic to make a fine paste. You can use leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days. Remember to use an airtight container for that.
Chickpea Flour /Gram Flour- It helps in sticking the spices and yoghurt marinade.
Garam Masala Powder
Red Chili Powder
Kasoori Methi/Dry Fenugreek Powder
What Can Be Served With Tandoori Mushrooms?
You can serve Tandoori Mushrooms with salad and green chutney. Served with some pita bread or naan, this can be a full meal.
Tandoori Mushroom Tikka
- 8 oz Button Mushroom
- 1 Cup Greek Yoghurt/Any Plant based Yoghurts
- 1 Tsp Chickpea Flour
- 1 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Crushed Fenugreek Leaves
- ½ Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Tbsp Lime juice/Lemon juice
- Salt According to the taste
- 1 Tsp For Marination
- ½ Tsp Turmric Powder
- Oil For brushing the tikka.
- Wipe Mushrooms with damp paper towel .If they are really dirty you can wash them under running water .Wipe them immediately with paper towel.Cut each mushroom into two parts .
- Make a marinade by combining yoghurt, flour and spices. Whisk to make it lump free.
- Coat mushroom with the marinade and keep it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 f .If you have iron skewers arrange mushroom by pricking them . If you don't have skewers roast them using wire rack. Roasting them without wire rack will make them soggy.
- Grill them for 8-10 minutes. Your time can vary depending on the size of your mushroom ..
- When mushrooms look done broil them for 1-2 minute.
- Remove them from the oven and apply some oil /butter to them .
- Serve with salad and chutney.