Sharing is caring!!!
The Crispy and perfect chew texture of mushrooms makes this dish a winner. Nicely coated with a batter, these mushroom slices are shallow fried and tossed in a flavorful chili garlic sauce. It can be served as an appetizer or main. Vegan, plant-based, and unique.
This is the most effortless restaurant-style meal. Start to finish twenty minutes. If you prep the dish by cleaning and slicing the mushroom, you can save a lot of time. I am so in love with the texture, and the spicy sauce coating is die for. Another great thing is that it doesn't need tons of ingredients.
What Ingredients are needed?
Button Mushroom - Those were some nice-sized button mushrooms from Costco. Try to get your hold on more oversized button mushrooms.
All Purpose flour- For making the batter for coating.
Corn Starch- For making the batter for coating.
Red Pepper Flakes- I prefer gochugaru for its bright color and mild flavor.
Garlic Powder- To enhance that lovely garlic flavor.
Aromatics- Ginger, garlic, and green chili pepper.
Soy sauce, white vinegar, Red chili sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, red pepper flakes for making the Sauce Mix.
How to Cook Crispy Chili Garlic Mushroom?
The first and foremost step is the washing of mushrooms. I wash whole mushrooms in running tap water and then wipe them off with a paper towel. Many people prefer to wipe it off, but I like it this way. Do not ever soak mushrooms in water; it will absorb lots of water and will become watery.
Slice them nicely so that their design and shape come through. They look pretty that way. However, if you want to avoid this, slice it to your liking.
Make batter and coat mushroom slices with that. Shallow fry, deep fry, bake, or air fry them till they look crispy and golden.
Make a perfect glossy sauce with all the aromatics, vegetables, and sauce mix. Toss the crispy mushroom into this sauce.
Enjoy with some cool cucumbers and jasmine rice.
You may like to read some of my Mushroom recipes,
How to store?
I would not prefer this dish to be stored in the fridge. They will not stay crispy and will appear soggy. Taste and texture will not be the same again.
You can prep everything and keep it in the fridge. After prep, you will only need around 15 minutes for cooking.
What to serve along?
You can serve them as an appetizer, or if you have this as primary for your dinner or lunch, then fill them with excellent jasmine rice. Some salad greens would be fantastic for palate cleansing.
Crispy Chili Garlic Mushroom
- 5 Big Button Mushrooms(around 4 -5 oz)
- 4 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 4 Tbsp Corn Starch
- ½ Tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ Tsp Red Pepper Flakes,plus little bit of salt for seasoning.
- Water for making a thick but flowy batter to coat mushroom.
For Making the sauce
- ½ Cup Red Bell Pepper
- ½ Cup Green Bell Pepper
- 5 Cloves Chopped /minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Ginger
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Fresh Chili Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Any red chili sauce .sriracha or schezwan
- 1 Tsp Sesame oil
- 1 Tsp White Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Brown Sugar
- ½ Tsp Gochugaru or red chili flakes for a more spicy flavor.(optional)
Oil for deep frying or shallow frying.
- ½ Cup Fresh Chopped Cilantro,for garnish .I like them to mix in the end with mushroom.great flavor .
- Wash and dry off the mushroom. Slice them in your desired size or shape.
- Take a pan and ,heat some oil for shallow frying.
- Make the lump free batter by mixing all- purpose flour ,corn starch ,water ,red pepper flakes.garlic powder and salt.
- Use a whisk to make the batter.
- Coat mushrooms in the batter ,shake off the extra batter and fry them till they look golden brown.
- Drain them on a paper towel lined plate.
- while frying turn them over once or twice and do it in batches.
- Take a pan or wok. Heat sesame oil in it.
- Add ginger ,garlic and green chilies to it . Furthermore add colored peppers .
- When looks aromatic and caramalized add sauce mix.
- Stir it once , add fried mushroom slices and mix everything.
- Make sure mushrooms are coated with the sauce mix nicely.
- Garnish with lots of cilantro and serve with jasmine rice.