Kung Pao Tofu. Crispy from the outside and creamy from the inside, this tofu is coated in a beautifully sweet and spicy sauce. It's an easy, simple and delicious alternative to the usual takeout meal.
These days, whenever we are ordering food from outside, my kids prefer something in kung pao sauce. Although it may be surprising, even we food bloggers need some break from the kitchen. However, these occurrences are quite rare nowadays. Kids don't prefer anything Indian because they think they are getting much better quality at home.
Chinese and Thai remain their favourite. Most of the time I make something at home but whenever they get the opportunity they try those only. Yesterday was a takeout kind of day but I changed my mind and thought about making it anyways. In just 40 minutes I served them, better than takeout kung pao tofu with white rice. It was hearty, spicy, and delicious. Everyone enjoyed it so much.
What is Kung Pao Tofu?
Kung Pao Tofu is the vegetarian version of kung pao chicken. Kung pao is a sauce, and this dish is a stir fry made from dried Sichuan peppers, coloured peppers, soy sauce, red chilli sauce, some sesame oil and peanuts. This dish is quite a popular take out dish and unlike so many other dishes, this doesn't have a lot of sauce. It's more on the drier side.
What Ingredients are Needed for Kung Pao Tofu?
Extra-Firm Tofu- I always prefer to use extra firm tofu in my Chinese inspired dishes. Always wrap tofu with thick layers of paper towel or press in the tofu press. Leave for at least 30 minutes.
Soy Sauce- I love to use dark soy sauce, however, feel free to use a combination of light soy sauce and dark soy sauce.
Sesame Oil- Lightly toasted sesame oil provides a wonderful flavour to the stir fry.
Hoisin Sauce- I love the sweetness which comes from the sauce.
Red Chilli Sauce- This is totally optional though. I used a little bit of schezwan sauce (homemade).
Rice Vinegar- You can use any brand of rice vinegar and if you are having a problem getting it, use normal white vinegar. I don't quite see a point in getting out the door just for one ingredient.
Grated Ginger and Garlic
Black Pepper (crushed)
I also prefer sometimes with Veg Thai Fried Rice.
Kung Pao Tofu
- 14 Oz Extra Firm Tofu
- 2 Tbsp Corn Starch
- ½ Tsp Crushed Black Pepper
- ¼ Tsp Salt
For stir fry
- 1 medium Red Pepper,chopped into big chunks
- 1 Medium Green Peppper,Choppe into big chunksd
- 1 Medium Chopped into big chunks
- 4 Dry Red Chilli
- 1 Tbsp Grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp Grated Ginger
- 1 Tsp Oil of your choice
- ½ Cup Roasted Peanuts
- 1 Tbsp Green onion
For Kung Pao Sauce
- 3 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 Tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp Schezwan /Sriracha/Any red chilli sauce
- 1 Tsp Brown Sugar
- 1 Tsp Rice Wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Green Cilantro
- Press tofu with thick layers of paper towel or Tofu press .Leave it for 30 minutes.
- Cut tofu into big cubes .
- Coat with cornstarch mixed with salt and black pepper.
- Dust off the excess corn starch.
- Shallow fry or bake the tofu to make it crispy .Keep it in a plate.
- Take a wok .Add oil .
- Heat it .
- When its hot enough add dry red chilli. Let it crackle.
- Add ginger and garlic saute for a minute .Keep the gas flame on high.
- Add onion and peppers .Add salt to it .Stir it for 1 minute .
- Mix all the above mentioned sauce to make a sauce mix. Saute that with the vegetables .
- Let it cook for 1 minute .
- Add tofu .Mix it properly with the sauce and vegetables.
- Mix 1 tbsp of corn starch with 2 tbsp of water .
- Add this mixture to the stir fry.
- Stir it and cook for 1-2 minute.
- Add green onion and cilantro to it .
- Serve with white rice ,fried rice or noodles.