Vegetable Korma; a medley of vegetables cooked in a creamy cashew nut curry. This dish is easy, comforting and really delicious. In addition, it goes well with any grain or bread.
Vegetable Korma is one of the easiest and most delicious curries inspired by South Indian cuisine. There are different types of mixed veg curries in every part and region of India. Depending on the state or region they use a specific medley of vegetables and spice mix.
I love how different types of curries taste. We at home always prefer to have a creamy tomato-based mixed vegetable curry or a little sweet Navratan korma. Today, while making lunch, I thought I would make veg korma for a change. It's simple, not very spicy and really comforting in this cold weather.
What is Vegetable Korma?
Vegetable korma is a cashew nut and coconut milk/cream-based delicious curry. This curry can be prepared using coconut milk or cream, however, authentic curry is prepared with coconut milk only. The making of this curry is quite simple and it doesn't use too many ingredients.
What Ingredients are Used in this Vegetable Korma?
A Medley of Vegetables- This is the best part of making any mix veg curry. You can use any vegetable you fancy /like. I have used cauliflower, potato, green peas, carrot, and green beans.
Coconut Milk /Heavy Cream-Coconut milk is mostly used in this korma curry however if you do not want to use it, you can always use cream for this curry.
Cashew Nuts- Cashew nuts provide richness to this curry, however, if you are allergic to nuts you can easily skip it.
Ginger and Garlic
Green Chilies- I have used green chillies sold in Indian grocery stores however you can use any green chilli-like serrano or even jalapeno. Adjust the quantity according to your taste. If you don't like to eat spicy food, skip it totally.
Onion- I love using red onion in my curries but feel free to use any onions.
Curry Powder- You can use any curry powder sold in grocery stores. If you don't have access to curry powder you can use coriander powder.
How to Make Vegetable Korma-
I prefer to make this curry in three steps. First, cut all the vegetables in the size and shape of your choice and then boil them. All the vegetables should have a bite. Boil them till they are 80 percent done.
Now make a spice mix. I always like to give my personal touch to the curry by sauteeing onion, green chilli, cashew, ginger and garlic in one tsp of oil. It gives a wonderful nutty taste to the gravy and you don't have the risk of not properly cooking the spice paste.
Now cook all the vegetables, spice paste, other spices and coconut milk /cream to make a wonderful creamy curry. It doesn't take much time to cook this curry and this goes well with all grain and bread. Sometimes I like to eat just a small amount of korma curry to relish on cold days.
What to Serve with Vegetable Korma-
Vegetables for making Korma
- ½ Cup Potato,cubed
- ½ Cup Green Peas
- 1 Cup Cauliflower Florets
- ½ Cup Green Beans,cut into 1 .5 inch long pieces
- ½ Carrot Diced or cubed
- 4 Cup Water to boil the vegetables.
For Making Korma Paste
- ½ Big Chopped onion
- 2 Green Chili (Optional)
- 1 Inch Ginger piece
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 10-12 Cashew Nuts
- ¼ Cup Water formaking the paste
- 1+1 Tbsp Oil of your choice
- ⅓ Cup Coconut milk /heavy cream
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt ,according to your taste
- 1 Tsp Curry Powder/Coriander Powder
- 1 Stick Cinnamon
- ½ Tsp Cumin seeds
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
Making of Korma Paste
- Take a pan Add 1 tbsp oil to it .When its hot enough add ,cashew ,green chilies ,ginger and garlic .Saute for 1-2 minute or more till onion looks transparent .Yoy dont have to fry cashew nuts properly ,they just need to have a color in the process.
- Grind to make a fine paste .Add water to make it .
For Preparing Vegetables
- Par boil the vegetables .and drain them .Keep them aside in a plate .
Making of vegetable korma
- Take a pan .
- Add oil to it .
- When its hot add cumin seeds and cinnamon to it .Let them crackle .
- Add onion cashew paste to the pan Saute and cook on medium flame ..
- Add turmeric powder ,curry powder,salt and garam masala powder.Saute for 1 -2 minute .
- Add coconut milk or cream to this spice paste .Cook on slow flame for 1 minute and add all the vegetables .
- Cover with a lid and cook for 1 minute on slow flame Add ½ cup water to it ..
- Let it cook for 1-2 minute on slow flame .
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Enjoy .