Kung Pao sauce is one of the most popular home style stir fry sauces in Szechuan cuisine. This sauce has a depth of flavours and balances savoury, sweet, and spicy with an extra kick.
The most popular dish with this sauce is Kung Pao Chicken and the vegetarian option is almost always tofu.
Why should non vegetarians have all the fun? Although tofu is the most common vegetarian option, we Indians always look for something which feels really familiar to us. You guessed it, I'm talking about Paneer.
I made a Paneer stir fry using Kung Pao Sauce. I have not made the sauce from scratch but just combined a few store bought sauces and made my very own Kung Pao Sauce.
Deep fried Paneer that is crispy on the outside and silky on the inside, combined with a sweet and spicy sauce topped with crunchy peanuts- it tastes amazing.
It is a dish that is perfect for dinner on a busy day as well as for a get together. Served with some plain or Schezwan rice, this tastes amazing, although you can have it without rice as an appetizer.
Homemade Kung Pao Paneer as good as any restaurant.
Kung Pao Paneer
- 12 oz Paneer ,cut into cubes.
- 2 Tbsp Corn starch
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Oil for deep frying.
- Making of Kung Pao Sauce.
- 2 Tsp Dark soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp Rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 1 Tsp Sriracha sauce/Schezwan /Any Hot Chilli Sauce
- 1 Tsp Sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp Brown sugar
- 1 Tsp Corn starch.
- Making of Stir fry
- 4 Whole dried thai chilies
- 1 Tbsp Ginger -Garlic Paste
- 1 Cups Mixed coloured peppers chopped
- ½ Cup Onion Chopped
- ⅓ Cup Scallion /green onion chopped
- ⅓ Cup Roasted peanuts(I used Store Bought)If not roast it .
- Cut Paneer into cubes and add corn starch after taking it into a big bowl.Mix pepper ,salt and toss it .
- Deep fry Paneer till they look little pink (not brown).You can air fry it as well.
- Mix everything named under sauce making.Whisk it till all the ingredients are combined together.
- Take a wok or pan. Add little oil.
- Add dried chilies,Ginger and Garlic.Saute for 1 minutes.
- Add onion and peppers and saute for two .three minutes.
- Add sauce and mix it nicely.
- Add Paneer and mix till Paneer is nicely coated with sauce.
- Garnish with scallion and and serve .
- You can serve this with rice or Noodles.