Sharing is caring!!!
Instant Pot Potato Curry.Simple, easy, and comes under 20 minutes. This Instant Pot Potato Curry or aloo ki sabzi is the ultimate comfort food. It needs only a few ingredients and goes well with rice or roti. Ideal for lunch boxes and weekly meal plans.
This Instant Pot Potato Curry reminds me of home. Growing up, potato /aloo was my favorite, and thanks to the abundance of Indian recipes, I had a variety of dishes.
Potatoes- Red potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes, or baby potatoes can be used in this recipe. Slice baby potatoes into two parts and the other into four or more (depending on the size of the potatoes.
Tomato Puree/Tomato Sauce -I am not talking about ketchup here. In North America, thick tomato puree is called sauce used in making soup, curries, and different recipes.
For My Indian readers, feel free to use tomato puree sold in all grocery stores. The homemade puree will also work here.
Aromatics-Ginger garlic paste and finely chopped onion.
Spices include coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt, Kashmiri red chili powder, and dry mango powder.
Any oil of your choice or ghee will be used. Whole cumin seeds, asafoetida, and green chilies are tempering agents.
Garnish with cilantro.
How to cook?
There are two types of thought here: to make the curry with boiled potato and to use sliced, peeled, uncooked potatoes directly. Using boiled potatoes, your curry will take only ten minutes.
Turn on the saute button of the Instant pot. Add cumin seeds, asafoetida, and green chili when it displays hot. Saute for some time.
Add chopped onion and ginger garlic paste. Saute till the raw smell is gone. If you think it's burning or sticking to the bottom, add one or two spoons of water to it. Scrape the bottom.
Add all the spices. Tomato puree/sauce to it. Saute till the oil separates. It will take another 5 minutes to do it. Add sliced potatoes to the pot. Mix properly and cook for one more minute. Add two cups of water. Mix everything.
Cover with the lid and cook on high pressure for 3 minutes. Let it release the steam naturally. Remove the lid and stir the curry once more.
Garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy with a side of your choice.
Instant Pot Potato Curry
- 2 Medium Potatoes (or use 8 baby potatoes)
- 1 Medium /Small Chopped Onion
- ½ Cup Tomato puree/Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Oil/Ghee
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 1 Medium Green Chili
- 1 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ Tsp Dry Ginger Powder
- Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- Salt to taste
- Peel and slice the potatoes. Chop the onion.
- Turn on the saute button of Instant Pot .
- Add oil/Ghee to it .When it displays hot add cumin seeds,asafoetida and green chili to it .
- Let them crackle .Add chopped onion to it .
- Saute till they look translucent .
- Add all the spices,salt and tomato puree /sauce to the pot.
- Mix everything together and cook till the oil seperates.If it start sticking to the bottom add 2 tbsp of water and scrape it down.
- Add potatoes at this point and mix everything together.
- Cook for another 2 minute,add water and mix everything.
- Cancel the saute button.
- Cover the Instant pot with the lid and cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- Let the steam come out naturally after the cooking stops.
- Remove the lid .
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Enjoy with roti ,naan or rice.