An easy 20 minute recipe for Veg Lo Mein. This recipe is delicious, better than take out and uses simple ingredients. It's suitable for beginner cooks and is vegan-friendly.
When my daughter was five/six years old she loved this particular restaurant's lo mein. Believe me, we had to go there at least once a week to get those. Since they did not have a kid's portion for the lo mein, I used to share with her. It was the the most delicious lo mein I have ever had. The noodles were slurpy, saucy and very delicious with crunchy vegetables. Unfortunately, we moved from the city and our rendezvous with lo mein came to an end.
She didn't like any restaurants in the city and to make her feel better, I started making it at home. It took me some time to reach the level of that restaurant but now I can say that she prefers mine over any restaurant and take out, and that's the best compliment.
I love this homemade version of lo mein since it is much healthier than take out. This dish is my saviour on busy weekdays and nights. My favorite thing is that it's my clean the fridge kind of meal as well. Sometimes I just have a carrot, a few snap peas, and a half pepper laying somewhere in the fridge.
Before going to shopping, I prefer to make this type of meal, which utilize lots of vegetables. Sometimes I make Veg Fried Rice, and sometimes Veg Thai Panang Curry. This Veg Lo Mein is among my favourites. Loaded with colorful crunchy vegetables, this is so good and comforting.
What Types of Noodles Can Be Used in the Making of Lo Mein?
You can buy dry or fresh lo mein noodles from the store. I use any of these according to my mood. Many times, I use spaghetti noodles to make this lo mein as well. Folks, this lockdown and pandemic taught me everything about using our resources. And, spaghetti noodles works perfectly in this recipe. If you want to make this healthy, use whole wheat spaghetti, or chickpea flour spaghetti.
What Vegetables Can Be Used in Making Veg Lo mein?
Any vegetable, according to your choice. I prefer bell peppers, broccoli, carrots- whatever I can find in my fridge. No need to buy anything special for this recipe. Just throw everything you have in the wok after chopping, and throw in some noodles and sauce and your lo mein is ready to enjoy.
You May Want To Check these Noodles recipe,
Veg Lo Mein
- 8 OZ Lo Mein Noodles/Spaghetti
- 1 Cup Mixed Colored peppers
- ½ Cup Small broccoli Florets
- ⅓ Cup Carrot Sticks
- ⅓ Cup Sugar snap Peas
- 4 Cloves Chopped Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Schezwan sauce/Red Chili sauce
- 2 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce/Light Soy Sauce
- 1 Tsp Seasame oil
- ½ Cup Green onion
- 1 Tsp Brown Sugar
- 1 Tsp Salt(for boiling the noodles and a pinch for using in vegetable mix)
- 1 Tsp Avocado oil or oil of your choice.
- Boil Noodles till they are 80 percent done .Drain the water .Spread them in a big plate and sprinkle some oil and mix to prevent sticking.
- Chop all the vegetables and Keep them aside.
- Mix both types of soy sauce ,schezwan sauce/red chilli sauce,brown sugar and sesame oil together .Keep it on the counter .Chop /Mince Garlic and green onion.
- Take a wok /Pan .Heat it .Add ½ tsp of oil to it .When its hot enough add all the vegetables in it .Start by adding hard vegetables like carrot ,and then broccoli ,peppers ,snaps peas .Add a pinch of salt to it .Do not use more then a pinch .Saute it for 1-2 minute till you feel they are according to your liking .Time depends on personal taste.Some people prefer crunchy some prefer little soft .I like mine crunchy so it took me 1 minute on high flame .Remove them in a plate.
- Heat the wok again.Add ½ tsp of oil to it .
- Add garlic and saute for 30 second .When it looks brown ,add sauce mix to it .stir it .
- Add boiled /cooked noodles to it .Mix it nicely with a tong.Add all the vegetables and mix it nicely .
- Serve warm /hot .Enjoy.