Flaky, crispy, and totally delicious, these scallion pancakes are a staple Chinese breakfast. They need only a few staple ingredients from your pantry and fridge and are super easy to make. These are perfect for lunch boxes and mostly served with chilli oil or schezwan sauce. Scallion pancake is loved by kids as well.
My family loves Chinese food, and at least once or twice a week we have some Chinese or Indo Chinese food. Sometimes it is a home-cooked meal, sometimes take out and there are times when we go to nice restaurants as well.
The only thing that is constant everywhere is the opinion that it's quite tasty and worth trying. Every time we have something new somewhere we definitely like to make a different version of that at home.
Having said that, a few recipes are classic and their beauty is in the originality. Scallion pancake is one such recipe that is super good as breakfast and quite popular as a street style food in China.
Tips for Making the Perfect Scallion Pancake-
Always leave the dough for resting. That makes a huge difference.
Roll /flatten the dough as thin as possible. Do not make it a round shape, roll them into a rectangular shape.
Spread the oil, pepper flakes, all-purpose flour mix on top of the rolled dough.
Roll them just like we roll the cinnamon rolls. Do not make them quite flat. Make them a little small in shape, and you can pat them with your hand. That will make them fluffier.
Use lots and lots of super-fresh scallion. Chop them really finely and spread them well. Since we are not using many ingredients, the real taste will be coming from scallion.
Crispy scallion pancake is the most perfect one. To ensure the wonderful crust make sure to heat your cast iron pan or griddle at a high temperature.
Cooking at a medium temperature while flipping them regularly and pushing them with a spatula makes them really crispy and layered.
You may want to check these asian recipes,
- 2 cups+3 tbsp Cups All Purpose Flour for dough ,plus for rolling the dough
- 1 Tbsp Oil for making the dough
- 1 Cup Hot boiling water(If needed more then add more ,but Ineeded this much only .
- 2 Cups Thinly chopped fresh green onion /scallion
- 1 Tsp Red pepper flakes (decrease or increase the quantity depending on your taste)
- 2 tbsp+more oil for shallowing frying and rolling the pancake
- A little bit of salt .
- Take flour in a bowl .Add little bit of salt and mix well with a fork.
- Pour boiling water over the flour Stir flour with a fork till it makes several small lumps .Cover the bowl and leave till it cools.
- When its normal or cool enough to touch ,make a smooth ,soft and supple dough.
- Mix 1 tbsp of oil to the dough ,make sure the dough is really smooth.
- Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and leave it to rest for some time .
- Chop scallion finely and in a separate bowl mix 1 tbsp of all purpose flour ,3 tbsp of oil, And 1 tbsp of red pepper flakes together. ,
- Make 5 dough balls of same size.
- Roll one dough ball in to a thin long rectangle.
- Spread some oil ,flour and red pepper mixture on it .Brush it evenly .
- Spread scallion or green onion evenly .
- Roll the rolled dough nicely starting from one side just like a log.
- Make a circle with the rolled log.
- Flatten the dough ball with your hand or a roller.
- Heat oil in a cast iron griddle or any other hot griddle . 1-1.5 tbsp oil will be enough to use for one pancake . Take more if needed.You can certainly use more or less oil .
- When it's quite hot place scallion pancake on it . Flip it over.
- Turn the flame to low /medium. Brush with oil on both sides and cook properly with the help of a spatula.Cook it until both sides are golden brown .
- Remove it from the griddle when it looks crisp and flaky .
- Serve with a dipping sauce .
- Make rest of it just like that .
- Alternatively you can roll a big rectangle ,spread every thing and roll the log .You can cut 5 equal parts and roll them till your desired size.You can cook them till they are crisp and golden .I find first method easy so do it that way .