I always get nostalgic while making or eating this curry. In our childhoods, my mom made this Potato Jackfruit Curry that we siblings loved. It was finger-licking good .
The texture of jackfruit is similar to meat and for that reason, it is often considered as the non veg of vegetarians in my part of the world. The curry is also rich and spicy, like most of the non veg North Indian curries.
Have you heard of the Indian festival of colors, Holi? Jackfruit curry is as important as turkey is in Thanksgiving for this festival in my native state. It is a dish which qualifies as a normal dish as well as one for special occasions.
What Type of Jackfruit is Needed for This Delicious Curry?
Raw jackfruit; whether it’s fresh, canned, or frozen doesn’t matter, but it should be totally raw. People in India buy fresh raw jackfruit in season, and that is the best jackfruit for any curry. Cutting and peeling the jackfruit is an art and which is learnt just by practice. Since it releases some sticky juice while cutting, applying some oil on hands is a must.
Canned Jackfruit or Frozen Jackfruit?
For the last 15 years, I have been using canned raw jackfruit, and I love it. I tried frozen ones a couple of times, and didn’t like the texture much. Many people complain that it doesn’t taste like the fresh ones. If you fry jackfruit cubes properly, you will get an amazing taste.
Can We Make it With Less Oil?
You can make several types of jackfruit curry with less oil, but not this one. You will have to use a certain amount of oil to make this curry super rich and delicious. Believe me, we eat this curry once in a while and it’s worth it.
I also make Aloo- Kathal ki Biryani, which is just as delicious as any non veg biryani. You can check it out!
What to Serve with Aloo-Kathal ki Sabji-
The best options would be white rice, pulao, and poori, but you can serve any thing you want. North Indian platters are usually big and hearty. You can serve these dishes with your Jackfruit Curry-
Ingredients Needed to Make Potato Jackfruit Curry
Potato– I prefer baby potatoes or yukon gold potatoes for making this curry.
Jackfruit- Canned, fresh, or frozen jackfruit. You have to really be careful with the fresh ones, because if it’s not fully raw, the taste of your curry will be spoiled.
Onion– You can take any type of onion, but I believe the red onion for making Indian curries.
Ginger-Garlic Paste– If you have time, then make you ginger-garlic paste fresh in the mortar pestle. You can use the mixer-grinder as well.
Coriander -Cumin Powder ,Red Chilli Powder ,Gram Masala Powder,
A few whole spices like Black Cardamom ,Bay leaf, Cumin Seeds.
A few Staples like Turmeric Powder ,Salt and Oil. I used Mustard oil but you can use oil of your choice.
Aloo -Kathal / Potato Jackfruit Curry
- 1 Can/Cup Raw Jackfruit
- 3 Medium Boiled Potatoes(they should be firm even after boiling ,otherwise they will break.)
- 2 Medium Onions ,thinly sliced /chopped
- 2 Tbsp Ginger -Garlic Paste
- 1.5 Tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cumin Powder
- 2 Tbsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder (you can use less )
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt according to your taste.
- 2 Tbsp For frying(Jackfruit ,and Potato)
- 2 Tbsp For Curry Making
- 2 Dry Red Chilli
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Black Cardamom
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro for garnish
- Boil Potatoes ,but they should feel little firm and hold their shape.
- Wash Canned jackfruit under running tap water and drain properly .Wipe all the extra water from the jackfruit .If you are using fresh Jackfruit ,boil it for 1 minute on high pressure in instant pot.
- Take a wok/Pan. Add 2 tbsp of oil to it . Heat it .
- Add jack fruit to it .Fry on medium flame till they look light brown and fried .It will take around 2 minute .Remove it and keep it the salted hot water till the curry is done(do not use this step if using fresh Jackfruit)
- Cut potatoes in big cubes .I prefer 4 pieces in medium potato and 2 in small ones. Fry till they look golden brown .It will take around 2 minutes. Do it on medium flame .Remove it in a plate after potato is fried .
- Take a pan .You can use same pan/wok.
- Add 2 tbsp oil to it. Heat it .
- Add bay leaves ,Cumin seeds, and dry red chilli to it. Let them crackle.
- Add sliced /chopped onions to it .Saute it till they look light brown/translucent. This will take 2-3 minutes.
- At this time add ginger garlic paste .Saute it nicely till raw smell is gone.It will take another one two minutes.
- Now add coriander powder ,cumin powder ,red chilli powder ,turmeric powder and salt at this time. Mix everything well and saute on medium flame .Add 2 tbsp of water to it .It will prevent your spices from sticking .
- Saute all spice mix on medium flame for 5-6 minute. spend some time on sauting ,believe me end product will be amazing.
- After the spice mix releases the oil ,add Jackfruit and potato to it .Mix it properly with the spice mix.
- Saute it on medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add one cup of water to it .Mix it properly and add garam masala to it.
- Let it cook for 5-6 minutes on slow flame with lid on . Remove the lid ,taste the seasoning .If you want to add some salt or it is thick for liking add salt ,or water now.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve with rice or bread.