Cholar Dal is a traditional Bengali Dal that is simple and satisfying. It's a popular combination with Bengali Soft Lucchi's but also tastes delicious with white rice or pulao.
Important Ingredients for Making Cholar Dal-
We need Chana Dal / Split Chickpeas, coconut, ghee, turmeric, cumin seeds, ginger, dry red chillies, and a few other spices.
Important Points to Remember While Preparing the Cholar Dal-
- Soak Chana Dal/ Split Chickpeas Lentil for 30 minutes, if you are using Instant pot. Mine comes perfectly in 30 minutes. You have to soak it for 1 hour in sufficient water if you are using a pressure cooker and you feel that your dal is tough.
2. Don't forget to use a little bit of sugar. It will enhance the taste.
3. Using mustard oil is fine, but I prefer desi ghee. Don't use any other oil as it will not give you the desired result.
Bengali Cholar Dal/Chana Dal/ Split Chickpeas Lentil
- 1 Cup Chana Dal/Split Chickpeas
- 3 Cup Water
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt according to the taste.
- 2 Tbsp Ghee/Clarified Butter
- 1 Tbsp Raisin
- 1 ½ Inch Cinnamon
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 4 Cloves
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Dried Red Chilies
- Pinch of asafoetida(optional)
- ½ Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Paste
- 3 Green Chilies/Make a slit.
- ½ Tsp Garam Masala Powder(preferably bengali)
- 1.5 Tsp Sugar(optional)though it makes lot of difference .
- ¼ Cup Thin Coconut slices.
- Rinse Chana dal /Bengal gram dal, and soak it in water for 30 minutes(if using instant pot)Soak in sufficient water for 1 hour if using pressure cooker and feel your dal is quite hard.
- Boil this Chana Dal in instant pot with 1 bay leaf ,turmeric powder ,little bit of salt ,and 3 cups of water for 2 minutes on high pressure .Release the pressure naturally.
- Chana Dal should be soft but not mushy after boiling. Your time can vary a little.
- Take a bowl .Mix cumin Powder ,coriander powder, turmeric powder, and ginger paste with 2 tbsp of water .Mix it well.
- Take a pan /Wok.
- Add ghee to it .Heat it .
- Once hot fry coconut slices till they look golden .Remove it in a plate after frying.
- Now add cumin seeds ,Asafoetida ,dry red chili ,cinnamon ,cardamom ,and cloves to it .Let it crackle.
- Add spice water mix/slurry which we have prepared to the pan.
- Saute on medium flame for 5 minute till the raw smell is gone and it releases oil.
- Now add the boiled dal ,raisins ,fried coconut slices and green chilies to it .
- Add salt to it (according to your taste).
- Boil the dal on medium /low heat for 5-6 minutes till it thickens .This dal is little thick in consistency.
- Add garam masala and sugar .Mix it .
- Let it cook for another 1 minute and remove it from the stove.
- Your Bengali Cholar Dal is ready .Pour 1 tbsp of ghee on top of it for more taste(Optional) .Serve this with Luchi ,pulao or plain rice.