Cholar Dal is a traditional Bengali Dal which is simple and satisfying. It's a popular combination with Bengali Soft Luchis but also tastes delicious with white rice or pulao.
Important Ingredients for Making Cholar Dal-
We need Chana Dal / Split Chickpeas, coconut, ghee, turmeric, cumin seeds, ginger, dry red chilies, and a few other spices.
Important Points to Remember While Preparing the Cholar Dal-
- Soak Chana Dal/ Split Chickpeas Lentil for 30 minutes, if you are using Instant pot. Mine comes perfectly in 30 minutes. You have to soak it for 1 hour in sufficient water if you are using a pressure cooker and you feel that your dal is tough.
2. Don't forget to use little bit of sugar. It will enhance the taste.
3. Using mustard oil is fine, but I prefer desi ghee. Don't use any other oil as it will not give you the desired result.
Bengali Cholar Dal/Chana Dal/ Split Chickpeas Lentil
- 1 Cup Chana Dal/Split Chickpeas
- 3 Cup Water
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt according to the taste.
- 2 Tbsp Ghee/Clarified Butter
- 1 Tbsp Raisin
- 1 ½ Inch Cinnamon
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 4 Cloves
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Dried Red Chilies
- Pinch of asafoetida(optional)
- ½ Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Paste
- 3 Green Chilies/Make a slit.
- ½ Tsp Garam Masala Powder(preferably bengali)
- 1.5 Tsp Sugar(optional)though it makes lot of difference .
- ¼ Cup Thin Coconut slices.
- Rinse Chana dal /Bengal gram dal, and soak it in water for 30 minutes(if using instant pot)Soak in sufficient water for 1 hour if using pressure cooker and feel your dal is quite hard.
- Boil this Chana Dal in instant pot with 1 bay leaf ,turmeric powder ,little bit of salt ,and 3 cups of water for 2 minutes on high pressure .Release the pressure naturally.
- Chana Dal should be soft but not mushy after boiling. Your time can vary a little.
- Take a bowl .Mix cumin Powder ,coriander powder, turmeric powder, and ginger paste with 2 tbsp of water .Mix it well.
- Take a pan /Wok.
- Add ghee to it .Heat it .
- Once hot fry coconut slices till they look golden .Remove it in a plate after frying.
- Now add cumin seeds ,Asafoetida ,dry red chili ,cinnamon ,cardamom ,and cloves to it .Let it crackle.
- Add spice water mix/slurry which we have prepared to the pan.
- Saute on medium flame for 5 minute till the raw smell is gone and it releases oil.
- Now add the boiled dal ,raisins ,fried coconut slices and green chilies to it .
- Add salt to it (according to your taste).
- Boil the dal on medium /low heat for 5-6 minutes till it thickens .This dal is little thick in consistency.
- Add garam masala and sugar .Mix it .
- Let it cook for another 1 minute and remove it from the stove.
- Your Bengali Cholar Dal is ready .Pour 1 tbsp of ghee on top of it for more taste(Optional) .Serve this with Luchi ,pulao or plain rice.