Well, many of you have missed going on vacation this summer, but no worries, let me take you on a food journey to Greece.
Traditionally Greek Gyros are a pork or chicken dish served wrapped in pita bread with Tzatziki sauce, onion, tomato, cucumber, and sometimes olives.
Why Jackfruit Gyros?
Raw jackfruit is my favourite and I do not miss any chance to showcase this wonderful vegetable in its full glory. Also, the texture of jackfruit is somewhat like meat and it is quite delicious.
Growing up in Bihar, a North Indian state, we always had fresh jackfruit available to relish. Raw jackfruit is a delicacy in North India and ripe ones in the South. In Bihar, on the occasion of Holi, vegetarians love to make and eat Jackfruit Curry. Normally it is paired with potato, but that is not mandatory.
I’ve been thinking for a long time to make these Jackfruit Gyros, and when I got a chance, I made this whole Greek platter. It included Tzatziki, Pita Bread, Watermelon Feta Salad, and Jackfruit Gyros, of course.
What Can We Serve with Jackfruit Gyros?
Pita bread is a pairing we see more often with Gyros, but we can use Naan Bread, and other types of wraps like Lavas too. It does not make much of a difference, though it’s not authentic for sure.
Where Do You Get Raw Jackfruit From?
Here in the USA, you can easily get raw jackfruit cans in almost all the grocery stores, especially Asian and Indian Stores. You can get frozen packets of raw jackfruit in Indian stores as well.
- 2 Cans Raw Young Jackfruit(Frozen will also do )
- 1 Medium Onion(Cut into fine slices)
- 2-3 Cloves Garlic(chopped into fine slices)
- 1 Tsp Ginger Paste
- 1 Tbsp Coriander+Cumin Powder
- 1 Tsp Dry Oregano
- 1 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Tsp Brown Sugar
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala
- 4 Tbsp Tomato Puree
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- Salt according to the taste
- 1 Tbsp Avocado oil/Olive Oil
For Salad and accompaniments
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Cucumber Sticks
- 1/2 Cup Cherry Tomato(Cut into halves)
- 1/4 Cup Radish
- 4-6 Leaves of Butternut Lettuce
- 1 Cup Greek Yoghurt/Tzatziki.
- 4 Lemon /Lime Wedges.
- Open both the Cans and remove all the water.Rinse Jackfruit with fresh water .
- Cut each Jackfruit slice into 2-3 slices length wise.Keep it aside.
- Take a pan.Heat it .
- Add oil to it .
- Add Garlic .Saute it till it looks pink.
- Add onion to it and Saute it for 2-3 minute or till it looks translucent in colour.
- Add Coriander-Cumin Powder ,Oregano ,red pepper flakes .Ginger Paste and Garam Masala to it .Saute it on low to medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add Tomato Puree to it .Mix it with other spices.
- Add Soy Sauce and Brown sugar to it .Saute it for 1-2 minutes .
- Add Jackfruit slices to it and saute it .
- Saute it for 3-4 minutes.Cover it with a lid and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Add salt to it (Since we have used soy sauce ,you need to use less amount . Don’t use without tasting.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Line a baking tray with Parchment Paper.
- Place all the Jackfruit mixture in one layer .
- Bake it for 8-10 minutes till it looks little caramelised.It depends on your choice .Some prefer it some don’t . Keep an eye on the Jackfruit while baking .
- Your Spicy Jackfruit filling is ready for zyros.
How to assemble Jackfruit Gyros
- Place a Pita or Naan in a plate.
- Spread Greek Yogurt dip or Tzatziki on its surface.
- Assemble lettuce ,tomato ,cucumber,And Radish.
- Sprinkle some lime juice on it .
- Fold it like a wrap /Sandwich.
For Vegan option use Coconut Yogurt .