Sharing is caring!!!
It's one of the most droolsome potato appetizer recipes. This Achari aloo tikka is packed with many flavors and is easy to make. Crowd pleaser, kid approved, and you can serve them in many forms.Ideal for a party, picnic, and meal plan. This Air Fryer Achari Aloo Tikka is made in an air fryer; however, you can bake it in the oven, tandoor, or even prepare it in the skillet.
What is achari aloo tikka?
That means potatoes are marinated in Indian pickle spice mix, herbs, and yogurt for some time and then grilled till perfection. Achari recipes are pretty popular back home in India. Indian pickle spices are fragrant and flavorful and have much more to them.
Predominantly, they are used in making different types of north Indian pickles; however, using them in other vegetarian dishes is also very common. They are either used whole or sometimes, after roasting, we make a coarse powder to use them. Either way, they provide a fantastic flavor to any dish.
Tikka is a form of the cooking method where vegetables or any protein pieces are first marinated into a yogurt spice mix and then cooked over an open fire. The marination process ensures that the veggies or protein soaks, spice mixed marinade, and baking them over traditional charcoal makes them succulent and delicious. This method is quite popular, and everyone loves tikka dishes.
Ingredients Needed to make this,
Vegetables- Baby potatoes, Red, Yellow, Green bell peppers, Onion, Grape Tomatoes.
For Marinade- Vegan Yogurt / Greek yogurt (Strain in a mesh strainer or cheesecloth to make it thick and remove the water content.
Ginger, garlic Paste, Red chili powder, salt, lemon/lime juice, oil, Nigella Seeds, Fennel Seeds, Dry mango powder, Coriander Powder, Turmeric Powder, Dry fenugreek leaf Powder, carrom seeds.
How to Serve?
You can serve them with green mint coriander chutney, in a wrap or with some hummus and salad. I sometimes use them in pita pockets or with naan sandwiches. They are always fun to eat and serve.
How to Marinate?
I use thick yogurt for marinating. They are thick and have almost no water content. Suppose you use other yogurt, like vegan or skim milk yogurt, then strain them. Use a cheesecloth or mesh strainer to remove all the extra water. It takes around two hours for water to strain. Sometimes, leaving it in the fridge for more time is better.
Whisk the yogurt with ginger garlic paste and all the spices. Further, add boiled potatoes, bell pepper, and onion, tomatoes to this mix. Make sure they are coated nicely.
Leave them for some time. The more you leave to marinate, the better, but I prefer 30 minutes for vegetarian items.
Why use an air fryer?
Cooking in an air fryer is mess-free and easy. If you line them with parchment paper, there is nothing to clean. It takes less time then any oven. Whenever I am cooking in small quantities, I use an air fryer. It's convenient and efficient.
Air Fryer Achari Aloo Tikka
- 12 Baby Potaotoes, boiled and peeled.
- ½ Red Bell Pepper,big cubes
- ½ Yellow Bell Pepper,big cubes
- ½ Green Bell Pepper,big cubes
- 1 Small onion ,petals(break by yourself)
- 1 Cup Thick Yogurt
- 1 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- ¼ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ Tsp Kashmiri red Chili Powder
- Salt to taste
- ¼ Tsp Coriander Powder
- ¼ Tsp Dry Mango Powder
- 1 Tbsp Lime/Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp Nigella Seeds
- 1 Tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 Tsp Carrom seeds
- 1 Tsp Fenugreek Leaves Powder
- Boil the potatoes till they are fork tender.
- Peel them and chop all the veggies into the cubes.
- Roast nigella seeds.fennel seeds and carrom seeds over a slow flame in a pan .Make a coarse powder when it comes to room temp.
- Whisk yogurt and add turmeric powder,red chili powder,salt ,dry fenugreek leaves(crushed) coriander powder,coarse powder of nigella,carrom and fennel seeds.
- Add lime juice,oil and dry mango powder. Add all the vegetables and mix them with the marinade.Ensure that veggies are coated with marinade.
- Leave it covered for atleast 30 minutes on the kitchen counter.
How to air fry them
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 f.
- Use small skewers soaked in water for some time .
- Arrange potatoes and vegetables on the skewers.
- Line the air fryer with the parchment paper.
- Arrange the skewers in the air fryer basket grill.
- Air fry them till they get that nice color and look grilled/roasted.
- Remove from the air fryer and enjoy with your choice of dip or in a wrap.
How to bake in an oven
- Preheat oven to 400 f.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Arrange vegetables and potatoes in skewers.
- Grill them till they look char grilled or have a lovely color on them.
On the skillet
- Heat a heavy grill skillet.
- Brush some oil.
- Arrange potatoes and vegetables on it.
- Grill them on both sides by turning them over.
- That will not take more then 5-6 minutes.
- Enjoy with your favorite dip.