Colorful, light, and fun to make, these summer rolls are like a breath of fresh air in the hot and humid summer months. I have always enjoyed eating these rolls at my favourite local restaurant but since things are different at the moment, and we are not dining out, I created these beauties at home for our dinner yesterday.
Usually, they only serve peanut sauce with this, but I made two types of sauces, and both of them were so yummy that you can have them with many other dishes.
There are endless possibilities with the vegetable filling and you can choose whatever you like. The only thing you need to keep in the mind is that you need to fill just the right amount inside the rice wrap, otherwise you won't be able to fold them.
I have used fried tofu sticks, carrots, cucumbers, green apples, red bell peppers, lettuce leaves, and mangoes. I did a mix and match for all kinds of flavours and textures- sweet, savoury, tart, and the crunch from the veggies. This was much needed to awaken the senses in these dull days.
The making of the sauce was so easy that you all will love it. So, recently, we have been making a Thai sweet chilli sauce in which you just need to mix two ingredients and voila! It's done. The great thing is that this is very close in terms of taste to authentic ones.
Another sauce I have made is a peanut sauce where I have mixed peanut butter with a few Asian sauces. It is easy, yummy, and can be made ahead of time.
Vietnamese Summer Rolls.
- 10 Sheets Rice Paper Wraps
- 20 Thin Long Strips Tofu
- 1 Cup Carrot(Thin strips)
- 1 Cup Cucumber Strips
- 1 Cup Red Bell Pepper Strips
- ½ Cup Green Apple Strips
- ½ Cup Mango Strips
- 10 Small Lettuce leaves(make it small if you have big ones)
For Making Peanut dipping Sauce.
- 1 Tbsp Peanut Butter
- 1 Tbsp Schezwan sauce/Any chilli sauce
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1 Tsp white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Honey /Maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp Water(mine was little thick ,if you want make it thin.)
For making Sweet mango Chilli Sauce
- 1 Cup Mango Puree(I used Canned)
- 1 Tbsp Schezwan Sauce/Any Chilli Sauce.
- 1 Tbsp Honey (Optional )If using fresh Mangoes.
- Take warm water in a wide pan /bowl .
- Dip one rice wrapper for 10-15 seconds.Do not dip it for more time otherwise it will break . these wraps are really soft once dropped in water.
- Drain after 10-15 seconds and place it on the board or your clean kitchen counter .
- Leave 1.5 inch of space and then place lettuce on it .
- Arrange 2 -3 pieces of all the vegetables and tofu on the lettuce.Do not over crowd it . Otherwise you won't be able to fold it without breaking.
- Fold it like a Burrito.
- You can serve it just like that or you can cut in two portions.Cut it straight or diagonally . Its your choice.
- Make all the rolls like this. Arrange in a platter for serving.
Making of Peanut Sauce
- Mix everything together under the name peanut sauce.
- Your Peanut Sauce is ready.
Making of Sweet Mango Chilli Sauce
- Mix everything together under the name Mango chilli sauce.
- Your Mango Sweet Chilli Sauce is ready to serve.
- Enjoy your summer rolls platter.