Sharing is caring!!!
Fragrant and delicious, this rice dish is packed with the goodness of chickpeas and cranberry. The sweetness from caramelized onions, tartness from cranberries, and the robust flavor from chickpeas make this Chickpea Cranberry Rice Pilaf a wonderful main meal or side dish to serve. It is filling and hearty.
I love to add different types of lentils, vegetables, and nuts to my rice. Not only do they make rice more nutritional, but they also enhance the taste. Chickpeas and cranberries complement each other to create a wonderful, fragrant pot of deliciousness.
What is Pilaf?
Pilaf /Pilau/Pulao is a cooking method where rice is slowly roasted in oil to give it a nutty taste. In addition, this method provides a depth of flavors to this dish.
Growing up, I have seen my mom making different Pilaf at times. Saffron Rice was one of them, and it was yummy.
What Ingredients Are Used in Making This?
- Basmati Rice- I love to use basmati rice; however, you can use brown rice for making this. The flavor would be spot on, although that will take a little longer.
- Chickpeas- I have used soaked and boiled raw chickpeas. However, canned chickpeas can be used easily.
- Cranberries- Dried Cranberries are used in this recipe.
- Onions- I have used caramelized red onions for making this pilaf. However, you can use any onion.
- Oil- You can use ghee /oil.
- Bay leaf
- Cumin Seeds
- Turmeric Powder
- Cilantro Leaves
- Red Chilli Powder
What Can You Serve With This Pilaf?
It goes well with any type of veg, non-veg, or lentil curry. I like to serve this pilaf with raita /yogurt dip as well. You can try these recipes as well-
Can You Make this Pilaf on a Stovetop?
Absolutely! Here, I am sharing the methods for Instant Pot and stovetop cooking. Both these methods will give you the perfect rice.
Can You Freeze this Pilaf?
Yes! Let it come to room temperature first. Then, store it in a freezer-safe container and store. Simply serve it after heating it in the microwave.
Chickpeas Cranberry Rice pilaf
- 2 Cups Basmati Rice
- 1.5 Tbsp Oil/Ghee
- 2 Cups Cooked Chickpeas/Canned Chickpeas
- ½+2 Cup/TBSP dried Cranberries
- 1 Medium Onion ,Sliced
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 cinnamon Stick
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt according to the taste.
- ¼ Cup Fresh Chopped Cilantro for garnish
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder(You can skip it or reduce the quantity)
- 4 Cups Water
How to make Chickpeas Cranberry Pilaf in Instant POt
- Wash rice and drain it on a paper towel.
- Turn the saute button of Insta Pot On.
- Add oil to it .
- When it says hot ,add cumin seeds ,bay leaf and cinnamon to it.Let them crackle.
- Add sliced onion to it and let it caramelize .Add a pinch of salt to it .It will help in caramelization process.In one or two minute you will notice that onion is looking pinkish brown.
- Add chickpeas ,turmeric powder,salt (according to the taste)and red chilli powder (if using).
- Saute for 1 minute .keep an eye ,so that it won't stick to the bottom.
- Add rice and saute it for another minute.
- Add ½ cup of cranberries and mix it with the rice.
- Add water to deglaze the Instant Pot.
- Stir it .Make sure rice is covered with water .
- Put the lid on .Turn the valve on seal in position and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Let the steam release naturally.
- Remove the lid and Fluff it with a fork.Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and Cranberries .
Chickpeas Cranberry rice pilaf on the stove top
- wash the rice and drain on a paper towel.
- Take a pan .Heat it .Add oil to it .
- When its hot add cumin seeds ,bay leaf ,and cinnamon.Let it crackle.
- Add sliced onion to it .Saute it and let it caramelize.It will take around one ,one and half minutes to do that.
- Add Chickpeas to it .Add turmeric powder,and salt to it.Saute it for another minute and make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom.
- Add rice to it .Stir it for one minute on low flame to me it toasty.
- Add ½ cup of cranberries to it .Add water to deglaze the pan and make sure your rice is covered with water.
- Cover it with a lid.Let it boil.When it starts boiling turn the flame low.Let it cook it for 12-13 minute.Check the rice between your two fingers.If it feels soft then switch off the flame.If not then let it cook for another minute.
- Let it rest for 8-10 minutes.Remove the lid .Fluff it with fork.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and cranberry.