A simple, soul satisfying, and comforting lentil recipe. This is so easy to make and also doesn’t take much time. In addition, it goes well with rice or any type of Indian flat bread. I love to have just a bowl of this dal with a sprinkle of lemon juice for my dinner. It’s vegan and gluten-free as well.
Growing up, we used to have whole lentils with roti and a green vegetable every evening. The exceptions were the days when we had stuffed Paratha. The average Indian household consumes dal for lunch everyday, and mine was no exception, so we had lentils twice a day. My mom was really particular about feeding us healthy meals. She had the skills to make everything so delicious, and that too without using much oil or spices. She always used whole lentils and green vegetables in her cooking.
Whole Masoor ki dal or Brown Lentils are particular favourites of ours. It is creamy, filling and amazingly delicious. Thankfully, my kids love this too. So, whenever possible, I try to recreate these food memories of my childhood days. Furthermore, as a lentil lover, I try to rotate different types of lentils over all seven days.
Why Do I love Whole Masoor Dal?
They are vegan and gluten-free.
They are also very pocket friendly and good for feeding a family or a big crowd.
Furthermore, it is a one pot easy dish which you can easily prepare under 30 minutes.
Lastly, it’s full of fibre and a wholesome protein packed dish.
How to Prepare Whole Masoor Dal/Brown Lentil
The first step is to wash the lentils properly with tap water. I like to scrub it thoroughly with my fingers and wash it 3-4 times. Then, soak lentils in sufficient water for 30 minutes.
The second step is to cook the lentils in an Instant pot. Turn the saute button on, and then add oil to it. After that, add cumin seeds and red/green chili. When it starts sizzling, add chopped onions and garlic. Saute till they are transparent, and add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, dry mango powder, and salt to it. Stir it for 1 minute and add chopped tomato to it. Saute till it looks like a cooked masala paste. Then, add lentils and stir. Add water and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. After that, let the pressure release naturally. This lentil is texturally a little thick. Thick lentils taste delicious; however, if you like thin dal, you can always add water.
Can You Freeze Whole Masoor Dal/Brown Lentil?
Absolutely, but let it come to room temperature first. Store in freezer safe containers, and do not store it after thawing.
You May Want To Check These Lentil recipes
Whole Masoor Dal/Brown Lentils
- 1 Cup Brown Lentils
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp Oil of your choice
- 1 Dry Red Chilli
- 1 Medium Onion Chopped
- 1 Medium Tomato Chopped
- 1 Chopped Green Chilli(Optional)
- 1 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Salt according to the taste
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Dry Mango Powder/Lime juice
- 1/4 Cups Chopped Fresh Cilantro Leaf
- 3 Cups water
- 3 Cloves Chopped garlic
- 1 Tsp Chopped Ginger
- Wash Lentils properly.Soak them for 30 minutes in sufficient water.
- Turn on the saute button of instant pot .Add oil to it .When its hot enough add cumin seeds and dry red chilli .Let them sizzle.
- Add chopped garlic and ginger to it .Saute it till they look light brown .It will take 30 second.
- Add chopped onion to it .Saute it till it looks transparent .
- Add turmeric powder,coriander powder,red chilli powder,to it .Saute it for 1 minute.If you thinks it is starting to stick to the bottom .Add one tbsp of water to it .Stir it and add tomato to it .Saute it for another one minute.
- Add salt ,dry mango powder(if using),garam masala powder to it .Add lentils to it .Stir it nicely.
- Add water to it .
- close the lid and cook it on high pressure for 15 minutes.Let it release the pressure naturally after 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid.Taste the salt .Add lime juice at this time .(if you have not added dry mango powder)Do not add if using mango powder.
- If it's thick for your liking add little water to it .
- Garnish with fresh cilantro .