Lasooni Corn Palak. Simple, clean flavours, and is easy to make. Corn kernels are cooked in a delicious garlic flavoured spinach curry. This dish goes well with roti and rice.
Spinach curries are always loved by my family. Whether it is Lasooni Palak Paneer,Aloo - Palak/Potatoes in Spinach Gravy or Dal Palak/Lentil Soup with spinach. Since it's the winter season, warm comforting curries are more than welcome for a wonderful meal.
What Ingredients are Needed for Lasooni Corn Palak ?
Palak/Spinach- Using fresh spinach is advisable in this curry. Fresh spinach enhances the flavor profile of the curry.
Corn- I have used canned sweet corn. You can use fresh, canned, or frozen. Boil the frozen or fresh corn till they are cooked.
Onions- I always use red onions for my curries, but you can use any onion of your choice.
Tomatoes- Using good quality ripe tomatoes is a must. I have used vine ripe tomatoes.
Ginger-Garlic Paste- Make a smooth paste with equal amounts of ginger and garlic. You can keep extra paste in the fridge for up to one week.
Kashmiri Red Chili Powder- Easily available in any Indian store. They are less spicy but give a really beautiful color.
Turmeric powder- Using good quality turmeric powder is important.
Green Chilies- They provide so much flavour. However, using them is totally optional.
Coriander Powder- Store-bought.
Lemon Juice- According to my mother, it helps in retaining the color and enhances the flavor profile.
Cream- Heavy cream/coconut cream. It's optional.
Oil- I have used avocado oil in this recipe, however, you can use any mild oil for this.
Chopped Garlic-I have used chopped garlic in the second tempering, which is totally optional, but elevates the taste for sure.
Dry Red Chili- Dry red chili is also used in tempering. If you do not like spicy things, please do not use. Just use chopped garlic in that case.
What to Serve With Lasooni Corn Palak-
You can serve any type of bread or rice with this corn spinach/palak curry. Couscous, quinoa, or any millet will work with this as well.
You May Want To Try These Recipes As Well-
How To Make Lasooni Corn Palak-
Wash the spinach nicely and blanch it (dip it in hot water and remove it immediately after 2 minutes and place it in a bowl filled with ice cubes and cold water.) This will stop the cooking process as well as help in retaining the color. Then, grind spinach into a smooth puree.
Take a pan. Then, add oil to it. Add chopped onions and saute for some time. It will look transparent in color. Add ginger-garlic paste and saute till the raw smell is gone. After that, add coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt, and red chili powder. Saute and add chopped tomatoes to it. Saute till the oil is released. Making masala paste needs some time. It needs 4-5 minutes of continuously stirring.
Add spinach puree and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add corn at this time and cook for 2-3 minutes. Taste the seasoning. If the gravy is thick for you, add water to it. The last step is to do the optional tempering part. Add oil to the small pan. When it's hot, add chopped garlic and dry red chili to it. Pour it over the corn spinach curry. Garnish with cream and serve.
Lasooni Corn Palak
- 1 Can ,15 oz Whole Sweet Corn
- 4 Cup Spinach ,tightly packed
- 1 Medium Onion ,chopped
- 1 Medium Ripe Tomato Chopped
- 1 Green Chili (Optional)
- 1 Tbsp Avocado oil /Oil of your choice
- ½ Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder(Optional)
- Salt according to the taste.
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 cloves Chopped Garlic
- 1 Small Dry Red Chili
- ½ Tbsp Oil of your choice
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Cream/Heavy Cream (Optional)
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- Wash the spinach leaves and dip them in boiling water for 2 minutes.Drain and remove them in a bowl filled with ice cold water.This process will stop the cooking and retain the color.Make a smooth puree of spinach .Keep it aside.
- Chop and prepare everything else.
- Take a pan /Wok.
- Add oil to it .When its hot enough add cumin seeds and green chili.Let it crackle.
- Add chopped onion to it .Saute it till it looks transparent .Your flame should be medium ,not high.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute it till the raw smell is gone .
- Add turmeric powder,coriander powder,chili powder and salt to it .Add very little salt at this time .You can always adjust it later.
- Add chopped tomato to it .Saute it .at this time mix 1 tbsp of water to the spice mix .This will help you in the making of spice mix.
- Let it cook for 4-5 minute on slow flame .Stir in between .Cooking spices ,onion tomato is really important in making good curry .If you think its sticking to the bottom ,add 1 tbsp of water again and scrape the bottom.
- Cook for 3-4 minute .Spice mix will start to release oil now .Add spinach puree at this time.Add drained and washed corn to it .Let it cook on medium /low flame for 4-5 minute.
- If its thick for your taste add ½ cup of warm water to it .Taste the seasoning and adjust it .
- If you are doing tempering then go ahead otherwise your corn spinach curry is ready to enjoy.
- Garnish and serve.
How to do tempering
- Take a small pan .
- Add oil .When its hot add chopped garlic and dry red chili.
- Cook it till it looks light brown /cooked.
- Pour it over the corn palak .
- Garnish and serve with bread or rice.