Crispy, crunchy potato patties stuffed with a perfectly balanced sweet and savory coconut mixture. The perfect bites of this Indori appetizer, Khopra Patties will make you crave more.
This dish pairs well with sweet tamarind dates chutney, green coriander mint chutney, as well as fresh crunchy salad.
I have some beautiful memories of Indore. We roamed around Rajbada while midnight snacking on delicious street food.
Sampling wonderful chaat and patties in the Chappan area was just an amazing experience. We tried and tested so many dishes and loved each one of them.
Khopra Patties was one such item which made us spellbound with its taste.
What Are Khopra Patties?
Indori Patties are a type of potato patties filled with an herb and dry fruit infused coconut stuffing. These are just heavenly tasting, crunchy bites. Furthermore, they are really easy to make and perfect for any occasion- they are just delicious.
What Ingredients are Needed?
- Coconut Flakes
- Poppy Seeds
- Red Chili Powder
- Green Chili
- Lemon Juice
- Grated Ginger
- Cilantro Leaves
- Bread Crumbs
- Corn Starch
How to Make Khopra Patties
1- The first step is to boil potatoes and grate them. Grating ensures a smooth texture of potato. Then, mix grated potatoes with corn Starch and bread crumbs. Knead it properly to make a smooth dough.
2- The second step is to prepare a wonderful coconut flake, herb, and spice mix mixture. We will add poppy seeds, broken cashew, raisins, red chili powder, green chili, lemon juice, cilantro leaves, grated ginger, and finally, salt.
3- After that, make a flat patty of potato mixture on your palm and stuff the coconut mixture in it. Then, make a smooth, round ball.
4- Fry/air-fry all the balls till they feel crispy, crunchy and golden. Lastly, serve them with salad and chutney.
Can You Prepare Them Ahead of Time?
Prepare the patties in advance- then, keep them in an air-tight container in the fridge. You can keep them like this for 2-3 days in the fridge and around 2 weeks in the freezer. Thaw them before you fry. Thawing in the fridge and using freezer-safe containers is important to maintain the freshness and crunch of the patties.
You May Want to Check Out These Appetizers and Chutney Recipes as Well-
- 3 Cups Boiled and grated Potato
- ½ Cup Bread Crumb
- ½ Cup Corn Starch
- Salt according to the taste
For Making Coconut Stuffing
- 1.25 Cups Coconut flakes(I have used dry)
- 2 Tbsp Poppy Seeds
- 8 Cashew Nuts
- 10 Raisin
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder (Optional)
- 1 Tsp Chopped Green Chilli
- ½ Tbsp Grated Ginger
- ¼ Cup Chopped Fresh Chillies
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- Salt according to the taste
- Oil for air frying or Deep Frying
- Boil Potatoes for 2 minute on high pressure in Instant Pot .Remove the steam Manually.
- Peel the skin of potatoes.Keep them in a plate..
- Grate potatoes with a grater .
- Mix potato ,bread crumb ,corn starch and salt together to form a nice and smooth dough .
- It should be lump free ,working with your palm is preferable.
- Mix everything written under coconut mixture.
- Divide potato mixture into equal size .I have used ¼ cup and made 16 parts of potato mixture .Divide coconut mixture into 16 parts as well .
- Brush some oil in your pal .Make a flat patty of potato mixture .Stuff the coconut mixture in to it .Make a smooth ball .
- Make all the khopra patties with the same process.You can make them into the shape of a flat stuffed patties.
- Keep them in the freezer for 15 minute .Deep fry them on low/medium flame till they look golden crisp from all sides.
- Serve them hot with chutney and salad.
How to air fry khopra patties.
- Pre- heat air fryer on 400 F.
- Arrange 4-6 khopra patties in the air fryer .Do not over crowd the air fryer.
- Brush khopra patties with oil ,so that they wont stick to the air fryer .Brush oil on grill of the air fryer.
- Air fry the potato balls for around 15 minutes on 400 f .Turn them in between.
- Your time can vary a little depending on your patties size and power of the air fryer.
- Enjoy with chutney and salad.