Sharing is caring!!!!
Mongolian Tofu Stir Fry. Crispy tofu cubes are tossed with sweet and spicy sauce to create a most delicious alternative to the Mongolian beef recipe. It's easy and fun to make finger-licking.Vegan, plant-based, and gluten-free.
I always have these phases of making things. Sometimes I love experimenting with a few ingredients so much that I keep doing that for days.
My family is always my guinea pig when it comes to these experiments. So obviously, we choose Mongolian tofu stir fry to make as it's not very common and is amazingly delicious.
Today, we had a heavy Indian lunch, so while discussing dinner happening, the man of the house announced that he would skip dinner today or may have some salad later.
While the kids were happy with their dinner provisions, I checked the fridge and found that, besides several other items, I had this pack of tofu that was going to expire soon. So, I thought I would make a Mongolian tofu stir fry.
When I tasted this tofu stir fry, I was just stunned. It tasted heavenly, and I consider this one of my best tofu dishes.
Everyone loved it, and the best part was that my husband couldn't resist it and had a bowl.
What is Mongolian Tofu Stir-Fry?
It's a vegan alternative to Mongolian beef stir fry. It is one of the most popular take-out dishes.
The stir-fry sauce is simple and flavorful. I don't like very spicy things, so it's fantastic in that case
. The tofu is shallow fried and quite crispy. However, you can always bake or stir fry.
How to Make Mongolian Tofu Stir Fry-
I have divided this into two steps.
The first step is to coat the tofu with cornflour, salt, and pepper. Then I shallow fried the tofu till it looked and felt crispy.
The second step is to make a wonderful sauce with ginger, garlic, chili, soy sauce, chili sauce, and brown sugar. I have used peppers and green beans for freshness and crunch.
What to Serve With Mongolian Tofu?
You can have this as an appetizer. I like serving this with rice, fried rice, noodles, or salad leaves. It will taste fantastic with anything and everything.
Recipes to check out-
Can You Store Mongolian Tofu Stir Fry?
Any stir fry tastes best when it is made fresh. However, if you want to store it or have some leftovers, you can keep them for one day.
You can store fried tofu and cut vegetables in a separate container in the fridge. You can whip up the sauce quickly in 10 minutes, and serving dinner or lunch will be easy.
Mongolian Tofu Stir Fry
For Preparing Crispy Tofu
- 13 Oz Extra Firm Tofu
- 2 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper (Crushed)
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Ginger
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Garlic
- 1 Tsp Chopped Green /red chilli
- 1.5 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Red Chilli Sauce(Sriracha, Schezwan ,or any asain hot red chili sauce)
- 1 Tsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 4 Dry red Chilli
Vegetables for Stir Fry
- ½ Cup Colored Pepper cubes(big )
- ¼ Cup Green string Beans(Cut into big pieces)
- ¼ Cup Onion cubes
- Some oil for shallow frying
- 1 Tbsp Oil ,You need to use during sauce Making.
For sauce thickener
- 1 Tsp Corn Starch
- 2 Tbsp Room Temp Water
- ¼ Cup Green Onion /Scalion
- 2 Green or red Chillies (optional)
Preparing the Tofu
- Press tofu between layers of paper towel or clean kitchen towel. Press with a heavy object .You can use tofu press as well.
- Press it for 20 minutes to remove water.
- Cut tofu into big cubes and Place in a big bowl.
- Coat tofu with corn starch ,salt and pepper mixture. Make sure they are evenly coated. Dust off the excess corn starch.
- Take a pan /wok .Heat it .Add little oil for shallow frying.
- When it is quite hot, fry tofu from all sides till they are golden and crispy .Do not over fry them otherwise they will feel chewy.
- Remove it in a plate lined with paper towel.
Blanching of Vegetable
- Take a pan .Fill it with sufficient water .When it starts boiling add green beans to it.
- Remove them after one boil /1 minute and place them in a bowl filled with ice water.
Making Of Sauce
- Take a wok/Pan.
- Add one tbsp of oil to it.
- When its hot enough Add chopped ginger garlic to it .Saute for 30 seconds and add chopped green /red chillies to it.
- When they look light brown add brown sugar and stir it once .Let it caramelize for 1 minute.
- Add Soy sauce to it and stir it .Let it cook for 30 second.
- Add red chilli sauce to it and stir again.
- Now is the time to add the vegetables .Mix it well with the sauce .
- Add tofu to it .Mix it well with the sauce and vegetables without breaking them.
- At this time add vinegar to it.
- Mix 2 tbsp of water and 1 tsp of corn starch .whisk it to remove any lumps and mix with vegetables and tofu.
- Let it simmer on low /medium flame for 1 minute or till the sauce thickens and coat the tofu nicely.
- Add green onion to it just before serving .