Have you ever tried Korean Style Buckwheat Soba Noodles? If not folks, you are missing out on something really delicious.
So recently, we have been exploring a lot of Asian flavours and loving it. The most wonderful thing about these flavours is that they feel like summer on a plate. In this dish, crunchy, crispy rainbow vegetables are paired with buckwheat Soba noodles and a spicy dressing .
Mostly Soba noodles are served cold as a salad or sometimes as a stir fry. Here, I have combined both the methods and created a recipe that goes well as a weekday lunch or a comforting weekend dinner.
What are Soba Noodles?
They’re a Japanese version of thin noodles ( very similar to spaghetti- they are made of buckwheat flour. ) If you do not want to use Soba noodles, you can use any noodles or spaghetti of your choice.
I can’t tell you how many times spaghetti has saved my life when I needed to whip up some noodles in a jiffy.
What Types of Vegetables Can You Use in Making These Noodles?
Literally anything which you like. A lot of people think that specific vegetables are necessary. I agree that using bok choy, sugar snap peas, and scallions make this dish taste better, but there is no reason that you cannot use any other vegetables of your choice.
Here I have used all the types of coloured peppers, carrots, bok choy, asparagus, English cucumbers, scallions, onions, and cabbage .
What Type of Sauce Should You Use in This Recipe?
I have used my own Korean influenced sauce for this recipe and it has a little bit of Thai flavour with heavy Korean influence. The main base of this sauce is a Korean chili paste known as Gochujang.
Do You Need Any Protein in These Noodles?
It depends on your preference. Typically, to make a meal complete, people add tofu as a veg option- for non veg options, you can add chicken or any meat of your choice. There are no rules- just use your imagination and creativity.
Spicy Korean Style Soba Noodles
- 10.5 OZ Buckwheat Soba Noodles
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Purple Cabbage
- 1/2 Cup Thin strips of Carrot .
- 1/4 Cup Red pepper (thin strips)
- 1/4 Cup Yellow Pepper(thin strips)
- 1/4 Cup Green Peppers(thin strips)
- 1/2 Cup Cucumber(thin slice)
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Scalion
- 1/4 Cup Red onion slices
- 1 Tbsp Garlic slices
- 1/4 Cup Asparagus(chopped)
- 1/2 Bokchoy Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Canola oil /Oil of your choice.
Ingredients required for making the Sauce.
- 1 Tbsp Gochujang Sauce(Korean Hot and Sweet Sauce)
- 1/2 Tbsp Red Curry paste/Red chilli sauce
- 1 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1 Tsp White wine vinegar
- 1 Tsp Red Pepper flakes
For Sauteing of Soba Noodles
- 1 Tsp Canola oil
- 1 Tsp Soy Sauce
How to prepare Tofu
- 20 Cubes Firm Tofu
- 1 Tbsp Corn starch
- 1 Tbsp Korean hot and Sweet Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 1 Tsp Canola oil
- Boil water in a large pot and add 1 tsp of salt to it.
- Add Soba noodles and let it boil for 2-3 minutes or maybe less in some cases.It should be 70 percent done.
- Drain the hot water and wash the noodles under cold running water.Let it dry out on paper towel
- Take a wok . Heat it .
- Add oil to it.
- Add Soy sauce and soba noodles to it .
- Mix it well and keep it aside.
- How to Prepare vegetables.
- Take a wok or big pan.
- Add one tbsp of oil to it.
- Add garlic and onion .Fry it till they look pink.
- Add all the hard vegetables first and saute it for one minute.
- Add other vegetables and mix it . Do it for 1/2 a minute.
- Add pinch of salt to it.
- Remove it from the heat and keep it in a plate on the kitchen counter.
- How to make Sauce
- Whisk everything together which is written under sauce.If its too thick add little bit of water to it .
- Assembling of Soba Noodles Bowl
- Take a serving bowl /plate .
- Add 1/4 th of the noodle ,vegetables,Tofu,and garnish with scallions ,sesame seeds (optional) and lemon juice.
Making of protein(Tofu)You can make Chicken and Shrimp this way too.
- Mix tofu,oil and corn starch.
- You can shallow fry ,deep fry .
- It can be air fried and baked as well.
- After it looks crunchy mix sauce and sprinkle sesame seeds on it .
- Its ready to be served.
- Serve it with Soba Noodles vegetable Bowl.