What is Missi Roti?
It’s an Indian flat bread. There are a few types of flour, dry and ground spices that are used to make this. It is considered a warm and comforting bread, which is generally preferred in winters. Traditionally, it is made in Chulha or tandoor, however, I am sharing a baked version of it. The texture of this bread is crispy, crunchy and with a dollop of ghee /butter, it tastes heavenly.
What Ingredients Do You Use in Making Missi Roti?
I use chickpea flour, whole wheat flour, and corn flour(Makke ka Aata) for making this flatbread. I did so many experiments with the proportions, and this was the best I could come up with. Also, I used spice powders like turmeric, red chilli, and dry mango powder besides salt. Additionally, I use carrom seeds and fresh cilantro for garnish.
What Can You Serve with Missi Roti?
You can serve any curry or dal with this missi roti; you can additionally serve it with raita and salad as well. It goes well with any thing which has a curry consistency. The best idea is to dip this crispy and crunchy bread into a creamy bowl of lentils or curry to get that wholesome and heavenly experience.
You can check out these recipes for dishes that go well with Missi Roti-
Can You Store Missi Roti?
No. It tastes best when it’s just out of the oven. Since it contains gram flour and corn flour, it has a tendency to get hard after keeping for a long time. I will suggest that you that you set the table and put the missi roti inside the oven. It hardly takes 5-6 minutes in a pre-heated oven. It’s easy to serve immediately. If for any reason you have to store it, wrap it in a soft cotton towel and then keep it.
Baked Missi Roti
For Making Of Dough
- 1/2 Cup Gram Flour
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 Cup Corn Flour(Makke Ka Aata)
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Carrom Seeds
- 1 Tsp Dry Fenugreek leaves
- 1/2 Tsp Dry Mango Powder
- 1 Tsp Chopped Green Chilli+ Fresh chopped Cilantro
- 1/4 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Chopped Cilantro
- 1 Tsp Carrom Seeds
- 1 Tbsp For applying on baked roti
Making of dough.
- Mix everything written under dough making, nicely with the help of a whisk or your fingers.
- Add little by little water to make a soft pliable dough.It took me around 1/2 cup of water.Your can take little more or less.
- Apply little oil on the dough and keep it in a plate on the kitchen platform for resting.
Prepare everything required for topping at one place.
Baking of Missi Roti
- Preheat oven to 500 F.Keep one big tray or two small trays for baking 6 missi roti.Tray should be kept inside while preheating.
- Roll each ball into a round flat bread .Rolled flat bread should not be very thin.
- Garnish the top of rolled missi roti with carrom seeds and fresh chopped cilantro.
- Place them in the pre heated tray inside the oven .Keep the oven lights on.
- Missi roti will be perfectly baked in 5-6 minutes,Dont let it cook for too long ,otherwise it will be hard.
- Your time can vary by a minute or two depending on your oven size.
- Remove them from the oven and apply some ghee on them.
- Serve them immediately with curry ,dal or raita.
- Tastes best when served fresh and hot.