Chura Matar /Chura Bhuja is the most popular Bihari snack. It's a fantastic combination of crispy poha and sweet fresh green peas. It's healthy, nutritious, and just delicious.
One of the most popular snacks in Bihar, this snack is a fantastic combination of Crispy /Crunchy Grain with the Freshness of Seasonal Peas. Chura Matar /Chura bhuja is a true bihari snack.
Growing up, we have seen this as a staple snack in our household with various toppings, and it is a dish where you can experience different textures and flavors simultaneously.
What is Chura Bhuja?
It's crispy flattened rice. Chura is the Bihari word for Poha. While making Chura Bhuja, we don't use any water. Bhuja is the Bihari word for roasted grain /snack (mostly not deep-fried).
The most important thing to remember is to keep the chura perfectly crisp. We use a little mustard oil, but it can easily be avoided.
It should be roasted on slow/medium flame for a few minutes. Mostly, we use a heavy-bottomed pan, but a non-stick pan can undoubtedly be used in it.
My popular Bihari Recipes,
Chura Matar /Chura Bhuja
- 1 Cup Thick flattened rice /Poha (we use local varieties of Chura in Bihar for this . Since its not available here we are using the common;y available thick Chura .
- 1 Tbsp Mustard oil.
- 1 Green Chilli
- Salt according to taste.
- For Matar (Peas)
- 1 Cup Shelled fresh Green Peas (they are most suitable for this recipe)though you can use frozen ones .
- 1 Small Fresh green chilli
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- ½ Tsp Cumin seeds(optional)
- 1 Tsp Mustard oil
- ½ Cup Thinly sliced onion.
- Garnishes according to taste.(optional)
- How to prepare Chura Bhuja
- Take a wok/Non stick Pan.
- Add oil to it and heat it .
- Add green chilies to it.
- Let it crackle .
- Add Chura/Poha.
- Saute it once and they lower the flame to low/Medium.
- Continuously stir or move the Chura around the pan so that it gets roasted evenly . It will start puffing and you can see the change in colour(it will look little off white /golden in color.
- Add salt.
- Turn the heat off.
- Remove it in a different bowl/Plate.Its ready to serve.
- How to prepare Matar/Peas
- Take a wok/Pan.
- Add oil to it . Heat it .
- Add Asafoetida ,Cumin seeds and green chillies.
- Let it crackle .
- Add peas to it .Add salt .
- Cover it with a lid . Peas have a tendency to pop out side the pan .Take care of your face.
- In 3-4 minutes you will see the change in their colour from dark green to light green .
- Switch off the flame and serve it hot .
- You can serve this Chura Bhuja matar with sliced raw onion ,Fried peanuts or Pickle .
- Enjoy your ultimate plate of Bihari Delicacy.