This recipe is one of the simplest recipes on my blog. In Bihar, the state I belong to, Parwal or pointed gourd is loved by many people and in the summers, when it is in season, it is part of the every day menu. There are so many Bihari Parwal recipes out there, but this recipe holds a special place in my heart since it is my favorite childhood recipe.
Bihari Parwal Masala (Dry)
- 15 Big /Medium Parwal(Pointed Gourd)
- 2 Tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tbsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 Tbsp Cumin Powder
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
- Salt According to the taste
- Fresh Cilantro for Garnish
- Wash and dry all the Parwal.
- Cut each Parwal into two piece.
- Take a Pan /Wok.
- Add oil to it .Heat it till it reaches smoking point.
- Add cumin seeds.
- Let it crackle.
- Add Parwal ,turmeric powder and salt to it .Add just a little salt at this time. You can adjust the seasoning later.
- Cover it and cook till it looks half cooked .It will take around 6-7 minutes on medium flame. Parwal will release lots of water and that’s really important to make this dish really crunchy without frying.
- Stir it once more and then remove the lid and cook on medium flame for 3-4 minute,till all the water is dried up.
- Cover it for 2-3 minute more on slow/medium flame .
- Remove the lid and mix ginger garlic paste to it .Mix it nicely .
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder ,to it. Stir it and mix it well.
- Fry /Saute on medium flame for 2-3 minutes till the spices looked cooked and parwal looks like my picture.
- Pour lemon juice over it .Mix and adjust the salt.
- Garnish with fresh Cilantro and serve with Poori ,Paratha ,Roti or Rice/ Dal.