Bihari Parwal Masala. Easy, spicy, and super delicious, this dry pointed gourd curry or Parwal masala is a Bihari specialty. In addition, this vegan and gluten-free curry dish goes well with rice and roti.
Can You Make this Parwal Curry in the Air Fryer?
Absolutely. I love to make this parwal curry in the air fryer. Using an air fryer for this recipe is easy and uses very little oil. It's a misconception that you cannot make Indian curries in an air fryer. Since this recipe is dry, making it in an air fryer is quite convenient. Just slice pointed gourd or parwal into two slices, mix them with the spice mix and air fry them at 380 f for 10-12 minutes.
Your time can vary depending on the water content of the parwal. Sometimes, it takes me 12 -13 minutes for a batch, or many times just 7-8 minutes. It's just a guideline, so check in-between and air fry to your liking.
Why I Love Bihari Parwal Masala-
This recipe is one of the simplest recipes on my blog. In Bihar, the state I belong to, Parwal or pointed gourd is loved by many people and in the summers, when it is in season, it is part of the everyday menu. There are so many Bihari Parwal recipes out there, but this recipe holds a special place in my heart since it is my favorite childhood recipe.
You May Want To Check these other Parwal Recipes,
Bihari Parwal Masala (Dry)
- 15 Big /Medium Parwal(Pointed Gourd)
- 2 Tbsp Mustard Oil /Avocado oil
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tbsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
- ½ Tbsp Cumin Powder
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
- Salt According to the taste
- Fresh Cilantro for Garnish
- Wash and dry all the Parwal.
- Cut each Parwal into two piece.
- Take a Pan /Wok.
- Add oil to it .Heat it till it reaches smoking point.
- Add cumin seeds.
- Let it crackle.
- Add Parwal ,turmeric powder and salt to it .Add just a little salt at this time. You can adjust the seasoning later.
- Cover it and cook till it looks half cooked .It will take around 6-7 minutes on medium flame. Parwal will release lots of water and that's really important to make this dish really crunchy without frying.
- Stir it once more and then remove the lid and cook on medium flame for 3-4 minute,till all the water is dried up.
- Cover it for 2-3 minute more on slow/medium flame .
- Remove the lid and mix ginger garlic paste to it .Mix it nicely .
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder ,to it. Stir it and mix it well.
- Fry /Saute on medium flame for 2-3 minutes till the spices looked cooked and parwal looks like my picture.
- Pour lemon juice over it .Mix and adjust the salt.
- Garnish with fresh Cilantro and serve with Poori ,Paratha ,Roti or Rice/ Dal.
How to Make Parwal Masala in Air Fryer
- Wash and Dry the pointed gourds or Parwal.
- Slice each Parwal into two pieces.
- Pre Heat air fryer on 380 F.
- Mix Parwal ,salt ,turmeric powder ,ginger garlic paste,coriander powder,red chili powder ,garam masala powder and one tbsp of oil .
- Add one cup of water into the bottom compartment of air fryer .We are adding this water to prevent dryness in the Parwal .If you have difficulty in adding water ,just skip it .It will still come out delicious.
- Place/ arrange spice mix Parwal halves on the top wire rack of the air fryer .
- Air Fry them on 380 F for 8-10 minute.Turn them in between to roast it from all sides . I have always done that and I feel that it makes lot of difference to the finished product.
- Your time can increase or decrease depending on your Parwal and air fryer.
- Sprinkle some lime/Lemon juice on top of it.
- Enjoy with rice or roti .