Inspired by my favourite chef Jamie Oliver, I made this stuffed Aubergine/Eggplant. It has a very unique flavour and a different twist with peanut butter.
When we think about stuffed eggplant we always think about baby Aubergines, but I stuffed the big one with a wonderful spice mix. I made a lovely aromatic gravy to go with it.
Fit for a centrepiece at a dinner table, this is a lovely, gorgeous dish.
Stuffed Eggplant In Coconut milk sauce
Made with an unusual Combination of delicious spices and herbs this eggplant dish is versatile enough to be baked or cooked on stove top.
- 1 or 4 Big /Small Eggplant /Aubergine(look for a sleek japanese eggplant)
- 1 Medium Onion
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Tsp Grated Ginger
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds+ black mustard seeds
- 1+2 Tbsp Canola oil
- 8-10 Leaves Curry Leaves
- 2 Tsp Peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp Grated green mango
- 1 Tsp Tamarind paste
- 2 Cup Thick Coconut milk
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- Salt according to the taste.
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro leaves.
- Wash and clean the eggplant.Slice it like this.
- Take a pan. Add 2 tbsp of oil.
- Add chopped onion to it . Fry it for 2 -3 minutes.
- Add crushed garlic and grated ginger to it .
- Let it sweat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder ,Kashmiri chilli powder to it.
- Add grated mango and peanut butter to it .Mix it well and saute it for 4-5 minutes.
- Now add tamarind paste to it and fry it for one minute.
- Add salt according to the taste.Switch off the flame and keep it aside.
- Stuff the eggplant with this spice mix .
- Keep rest of the spices in a bowl,we will use it later.
- Take a pan .Add 2 tbsp of Oil to it.
- Add Eggplant to it . Cook it on medium flame for 3 -3 minutes on both the sides. cover the lid for 5-6 minute till it looks almost done .
- Remove it in a plate and keep it on the kitchen counter.
- Add all the spice mix to the pan and mix coconut milk to it . Mix it nicely and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add stuffed cooked eggplant to it and cover it with a lid.Keep the flame low .
- Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve it with white rice ,Roti or salad.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
What if green mango is not available?
Just use 1 tsp od dry mango powder.It will work .If you have difficuty geting any of these leave it .Curry will still taste good.
Hope it helps.
Thank You so much for stopping by.
Thanks for the recipe my kids loved it.
I am so glad that it worked out for you and everyone loved it .Really appreciate your feedback.
What tamarind paste do you use?
I use any tamarind from Indian Store .Soak it and then use it .
hope it helps.