Rich, vibrant, and full of flavour, this curry dish is a perfect example of special occasion/Indian party dishes. It's creamy, tangy, spicy, sweet, and above all has a very nice texture due to fox nuts/Makhana.
A crowd pleaser and party-perfect dish, this curry will make you crave more. In addition, this super flavorful and finger-licking delicious Makhana, Mushroom, Mawa, Matar goes well with naan or rice.
Rich North Indian curries are extremely popular among food lovers and often we wonder how we can create that delicious restaurant-type curry at home.
This recipe is super simple, luscious, and involves only pantry staple spices. It's delicious with the richness of mawa and the addition of mushrooms with makhana and matar makes it a little unique.
People often consider Paneer Butter Masala, Dum Paneer Masala, and Malai Kofta/ Restaurant Style Malai Kofta to make, when cooking something special. This Makhana, mushroom, mawa, matar will change your perception for good. It tastes absolutely amazing and is suitable for every occasion.
What Ingredients Are Used in this Recipe?
Matar/Green Peas- For this recipe frozen peas are best. If using fresh peas, boil them first.
Makhana/Fox nuts/Puffed lotus seeds- Easily available on Amazon or in Indian grocery stores.
Mushroom- Button mushrooms are best for this recipe.
Onion- Red onions are best for Indian curries.
Ginger-garlic Paste- Grind an equal amount of ginger and garlic to make a fine paste.
Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
Ghee/Oil- I prefer ghee for this recipe as it gives the dish a rich aroma.
Garam masala powder
Fresh Cilantro for Garnish
How to Make Makhana, Mushroom, Mawa, Matar-
Step One- Toast makhana or fox nuts in ghee till they look nice and crunchy. Do this on low flame. Slow roasting helps in an even and nice crunch.
Grate Mawa/Khoya. If using homemade then mash it with your hands to make it crumbly.
Soak frozen green peas in a big bowl of fresh water.
Wipe mushroom with a damp paper towel and slice it into big pieces. Roast the mushroom in a little bit of ghee or oil.
Chop and grind everything.
Keep all the ingredients handy.
Step Two- In a pan or kadhai heat ghee and add all the whole spices. Cook onion, tomato, ginger-garlic paste, and green chilies. Use a medium flame to cook them.
Add all the other spices and cook them for some time till they release oil. Add grated mawa/khoya to the pan, and stir on medium flame.
At this time add mushroom and matar to the spice mix and cook for a few minutes on slow/medium flame. Mix cream and roasted makhana to the pan. Add a little bit of hot water to make the curry up to your desired consistency.
Sprinkle some Garam Masala and kasoori methi . Taste the seasoning, and if you want to add something, do it now.
At the end, add one tsp of ghee to the curry, this step makes all the difference. However, it is optional.
Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with naan or roti.
Mushroom, Makhana, Mawa, Matar
- ½ Cup Mahana /Fox nuts
- ½ Cup Matar/Green Peas
- ½ Mawa/Khoya
- 8 Oz Mushroom
- 4-5 Tbsp Ghee/Oil
- 1 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Star anise
- 2 Black Cardamom
- 2 Green Chilies
- 1 Medium Onion
- 1 Ripe Tomato
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- ½ Tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ Tsp Red Chili Powder(You can increase or decrease the quantity)
- ¼ Tsp Garam Masala powder
- ½ Tsp Turmeric powder
- salt ,According to the taste
- 2 Tbsp Cream
- 1 Tsp Kasoori Methi ,crushed
- ¼ Cup Green cilantro
- Roast Makha /Fox nuts in ghee till they look crispy and light brown.
- Wipe mushroom with a wet paper towel and slice them into big pieces. Saute mushroom in a little bit of ghee till they look nice and roasted.
- Soak green peas in a bowl of water.
- Grate mawa if you have to.
- Take a pan. Add ghee/oil and heat it.
- Add all the whole spices and cumin seeds to it. Stir it once.
- Add chopped onion to it and cook until brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste to it. Saute it till the raw smell is gone.
- Add chopped tomato, salt and turmeric to it.
- Mix well and cook until they are soft and mushy.
- Add all the other spices and cook till oil is released.
- Add mawa or khoa to the spice mix and stir a few times.
- Add mushroom and peas to it. Mix well and add foxnuts or makhana to it.
- At this time add water for making the curry. If you want thick curry, add 1 cup of water and if you want thin, add 2 cups. You can always change the consistency according to your taste.
- Now add kasoori methi, cream, and garam masala to it.
- Taste the curry and adjust the seasoning.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Serve with hot naan or rice.