Matar ka Nimona/Green Peas Nimona is a dish from the state of UP and some parts of Bihar. It is a winter delight and requires a very small amount of spices.
It is packed full of flavor and goes well with rice or roti. It is vegan and takes less than 30 minutes to prepare.
Growing up I remember my mother used to have all of us peel peas. We used to snack on half of the peas while talking. It was super fun.
Those were the times when most vegetables were seasonal. Green peas were a winter delicacy and they were really sweet and delicious.
Matar Ka Nimona is a dish that tastes best when we use fresh peas, however, you can always make it with frozen peas. I always find that fresh peas in Nimona give a much better taste and texture.
Whenever I find these peas in my local grocery store, I make it a point to make Nimona. Nimona is an absolute favorite of ours and we all enjoy the delicious finger-licking taste.
What Ingredients are needed for Matar ka Nimona?
- Green Peas-I always prefer fresh green peas however if for some reason you don't have them use frozen ones.
- Fresh Cilantro Leaves and Stems
- Green Chili
- Garlic-If you are able to find some green garlic use those otherwise normal garlic cloves will work.
- Bay Leaf
- Cumin Seeds
- Dry Red Chili
- Turmeric Powder
- Red Chili Powder(optional)
- Lime juice
- Garam Masala powder
- Oil-Traditionally, mustard oil is used however, you can use the oil of your choice.
How to make Matar Ka Nimona?
I have simplified the cooking Method into 4 steps.
- Take two potatoes. Cut them into big long slices. Slices shouldn't be too thick or thin. Deep fry/shallow fry/air fry them till they are cooked and look light brown and crispy. Keep them on a plate.
- Grind fresh cilantro, green chilies, garlic, and ginger to form a smooth paste. Put it in a bowl.
- Boil fresh peas till they become a little soft(if using frozen, do not boil them ). Grind them to make a coarse(not smooth, it's really important to have the real texture) puree. Saute the coarse peas puree in a wok or pan to give it a nice flavor. Use only a little oil for that.
- Now make the Nimona gravy by sauteing onions, tomatoes, herbs, and spices. It will become a nice spicy gravy with lots of flavors.
You May Want To Check these Peas Recipes,
Aloo Matar/Potatoes & Peas Curry
Matar Ka Nimona
- 2 Cups Green Peas
- 2 Medium Potatoes,chopped into long thick slices.
- 1 Small Chopped Onion
- 1 Small Chopped Tomato
- 2 Green Chilies
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Ginger
- 1 Cup Cilantro Leaves
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ Tsp Red Chili Powder
- ½ Tsp Garam Masala powder
- 2 Dry Red Chili
- ½ Tsp Cumin Seeds
- Pinch of asafoetida(optional)
- 2+1 Oil(I used Mustard Oil)
- Lime Juice
- Cilantro for garnish
- Salt according to the taste.
- Take a pan or wok. Shallow fry potato slices till they look crispy and cooked. Put them in a plate. You can air fry them as well.
- Boil the peas till they feel soft. Do not boil frozen Peas. Drain the peas and grind them to a coarse texture. It should not be like a smooth paste. Coarse peas will provide a great texture to the curry.
- Grind the cilantro leaves, garlic cloves, ginger pieces and green chilies into a fine paste. Keep it aside.
- Take a Pan .Add little bit of oil and heat it .Saute the coarse peas on medium flame for 1-2 minute till the raw smell is gone.Remove it in a plate .
- Take the same pan and add 1 tbsp oil to it .Heat it .
- Add Bay leaf ,cumin seeds ,asafoetida and dry red chili to it .Let it crackle.
- Add chopped onion to it .Saute and let it cook for 2-3 minutes on low flame till it becomes soft .Add green cilantro mix and saute again for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chopped tomato ,turmeric powder,red chili powder,and salt to this mix.Stir it and cook on the slow flame to make a nice spice mix.Cook it on slow flame till it looks all cooked and oil is released.
- Add ground peas to this spice mix and mix it nicely.
- Add potatoes to it and mix them with spice mix.
- Add two cups of water and garam masala to it .If you think curry is too thick for you, add little more water.Let it cook for 1-2 minute .Sprinkle lime juice and mix it .
- Taste the salt .If you want to add some ,add some .
- Garnish with some green cilantro and serve with rice or roti .
I made this today and it was delicious, it has an addictive taste. Loved it!! Looking forward to making more recipes from your blog! Thanks for sharing .
Hi Dipti ,
Thank you so much for your kind feedback .I am so glad that you liked it ..Really appreciate .